Ketones and glucose in blood?

(KB) #1

So on a FB group someone recommended I measure glucose in addition to blood ketones, because even though I have ketones I could also have glucose floating around? I’m not insulin resistant, so I had assumed that I can’t have both glucose & ketones… With glucose comes insulin and no ketones-- this was my assumption. Am I wrong?:flushed:

(Tom Seest) #2

I lost plenty of weight when my blood glucose readings were higher. And, I had ketones. Much easier to produce and use them now though.

(KB) #3

So I shouldn’t worry about glucose right? Insulin is the real issue, which needs to be low for weight loss…

(John) #4

You always have glucose circulating in your blood. Even though the levels are much lower than before, your muscles still use glucose and store glycogen, as does your liver, and while it uses much less when fat adapted, your brain still uses a lot of glucose.
Glucose is good to have moving around your body, insulin is not.
Quick edit to say that insulin per se is not bad, you have that in your system all the time too, we are trying to keep it from spiking and fixing insulin resistance so we get much more from a smaller amount circulating.

The production of ketone bodies results in a release of a little glucose, so the more ketones you have made, the more glucose you have made as well.

(KB) #5

Thank you! Great info.