Ketone Test

(JT23) #1

Question. Are ketones levels first thing in the morning lower than when testing in the evening? I tested my blood at 7 am and was at 0.2 mmol then at 5 pm and was at 1.7 mmol. I am eating good (keeping carbs down to under 20 grams) and have been losing weight (9 lbs in 10 days). I am just curious if anyone out there is testing there blood1st thing in the morning. I figured last night I was at 1.7 mmol and since I did not eat after that that this morning It would be higher. I am just trying to get my ketone readings as high as I can to be effective. I really would appreciate any thoughts on this.

(Allie) #2

For many people yes.

(Running from stupidity) #3

That’s not really how it works.

(Cate ) #4

There is something called the Dawn effect that is a cortisol release at around 4am. It results in higher blood glucose levels in the morning. It could make your ketone levels lower first thing in the morning. I can’t verify, but check out the Dawn Effect and see if that explains it.

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

Nutritional ketosis, 0.5-1.5 is a desired range. No need to worry about getting them higher. There is no “super ketosis”. If they get higher, that typically means your body isn’t using them efficiently. OR, you’re fasting.