Ketone Meter use

(Crippie) #1

So I am thinking about getting a ketone meter. More out of curiosity on ketone levels and being in ketosis. But it seems like a steep cost just for curiosity.

Are there some other benefits to a ketone meter that I do I know about that could be a way to justify it?

I did the same with a glucose meter a few months ago. I was curious about glucose levels but didn’t want to just buy one for only that. But when I found I could use it to test sensitivity to sweeteners I went for it.

I was looking at the KetoMojo. Thoughts?

(Crippie) #2

No replies. But I decided to go for it anyway. Pulled the trigger today. Should get the whole Keto Mojo kit in about a month(backordered :frowning:) .

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

I’m watching. I’ve thought about it also. Hard for me to justify since I’ve done fine for 4 months without it. But still curious. Please post back here what your experience is.

(Will Larson) #4

I discovered this site a couple of months ago searching for 'cheap ketone breath meter". and found this thread;

I was able to get some readings that let me know I was getting a few ketones, but I was curious what the blood ketone meter would show, so i popped for the keto-mojo. My values fall in the range of 0.5 to 3.0 mMol on the keto-mojo, but the Chinese breathalyzer (Greenwon) usually just shows 0.02% BAC no matter what, unless I’m out of keto, when it reads 0.00.
The blood ketone monitor lets me see the effect of a longer fast, and whether drinking wine knocks me out (yes). So it’s fun and kind of motivating, but not strictly necessary, i guess.
I just joined this site a couple of days ago after I heard the 2keto dudes podcast.

(Crippie) #5

Will do! It will probably be almost a month, they are back-ordered right now so they wont ship until Feb 8. But great sale that I just couldn’t pass up

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

I’m thinking I’m going to order one also.! While at the level I am, I’d really like to know my ketones and BC levels.

(Crippie) #7

This is pretty much why I got it.

1.) I want to learn what the different intensities of ketosis feel like. I definetly can tell there are days where I am very strong into ketosis, the different body smells and the extra focus. And there are days I am positive I was knocked out by something cause I feel like crap. But there are days in the middle I just have no idea, so I hope with this and some routine testing I can pinpoint that feeling of “I’m in ketosis right now” without having to test. Which leads to the other big point

2.) Being able to test more acutely and try to pinpoint what exactly is knocking me out. Maybe that whiskey I got was actually crap and sweetened with sugar, maybe I ate too big of a steak and the extra protein knocked me out, maybe I am not handling dairy as much as well I I think. I eat virtually 0 carbs, but I can definitely feel there are days when I am not in ketosis and I want to find out why, I think this will be a good tool for that

(Crippie) #8

I say do it. I got a cheap blood glucose meter on sort of the same whim and I have found it super helpful, I think a ketone meter will be more so. As I said in another reply, being able to more accurately track my ketosis will help me pinpoint that feeling of ketosis, as well as pinpoint what is actually knocking me out of ketosis when I am knocked out.

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #9

I did buy a blood ketone meter when I started. I test once a week or so-strips are pricy so it is not something I do daily like blood sugar.

(Crippie) #10

Yea. That put me off for a while. That why I went for the Keto Mojo, seemed like if you got the package deal the strips would be the cheapest. Still $1 a strip, so not something I would want to do daily. But it comes with 60 strips which I think will help me get what I want out of it. And then I can slow down the testing to only occasionally.

No other benefit than your levels, but if you need to start troubleshooting what screws with you and what doesn’t their great. I’ve got the Nova and it has much cheaper strips than the precision, but I think all the meters do.

(Candy Lind) #12

Where?

(Crippie) #13

If you go to

Keto Mojos website

They have a sale on all their products. Not sure how Kong’s it’s been going on or for how long it will last. Just what the site showed. Seemed like a great deal to me.

(Annette) #14

I have the Keto-Mojo and it has worked well for me. I personally recommend against the kit. We can find a lancet anywhere and I haven’t yet found a way to carry the meter, lancet, and the containers of testing strips in the case without taking the strips out of the tubes and putting into a small ziplock bag, The containers are just too large and two would never fit anyway. imho

(Crippie) #15

I went with the kit.

I don’t really plan to bring it with me anywhere so I’m fine with it just being in my drawer at home. And I thought in the lancet too, but figured I can just use the one from my old glucose meter I have which I have like 1000 lancers for still.

Thanks for the feedback tho. As for the Keto mojo meter itself. How did you like it? easy to use? Accurate?

(jilliangordona) #16

I just ordered it from amazon on Monday and i got it on Wednesday

(Crippie) #17

I thought about ordering from amazon, but I liked that when ordering the kit from their website you get a lifetime discount on ketone test strips. So I went for that instead and am forcing myself to wait

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #18

Someone suggested getting a cheap BG meter for testing of blood glucose. I picked this one up this morning. I’m very curious about controlling insulin levels.

This reading was 2 hours after my first meal of the day.

(Crippie) #19

I did the same thing. I got it to check sensitivity to different sweeteners, and just curiosity about my glucose levels.

I typically test around the 85-95 area, very occasionally I will see it up in the 105 zone.

I am curious what is considered “good” glucose readings for a keto-er? And how my glucose levels will correspond with ketone levels(another reason I wanted a ketone meter)

I have checked non keto family members on occasion and depending on their last meal have seen numbers up in the 160 area.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #20

I’m going to get the keto mojo also. @jilliangordona did you see a price break using amazon?