Ketone levels all over the place

(J) #23

I couldn’t tell you why it’s set like this as I set it up a long time ago when I first did keto. Assuming I put in my size and how much I wanted to lose but the macros I hit or at least strive to hit in my app are:

2375 calories total

207 grams fat

108 grams protein

20 g net carbs

I am 44, started at 300 lbs, as of this morning 289 lbs. don’t have an “ideal weight” just want this damn gut GONE! I have a really bad family history on both sides of heart conditions and morbidities. Trying to break the cycle of my grandfathers and father leaving this world too soon.

(Michael) #24

Macros look good. You could lower fat intake some and leave the rest, BUT, if you can, it may be healthier to try a 48-72 hour fast and then eat normally for a while to both kickstart weight loss and fat burning while still maintaining/ gaining increasing your current RMR. I am a huge proponent of using RMR to drive weight loss. As such I eat 2800+ to maintain a weight of only 132 pounds.

FWIW, my ketones vary from 0.2 and up, depending on my protein intake

(Megan) #25

Hi @Chino2012, welcome to the forum. One thing you can try is to drop the highly processed fat bomb and focus your meal plans on eating real, single ingredient foods. Eggs are a complete protein but the amino acid profile in beef is better, if you want to switch up your protein source sometimes.

My ketones, when I used to measure them, were almost always 0.2. I just measured them now after many months (just woke up, haven’t eaten) and yup, 0.2. But I’ve steadily lost weight the past 10 months regardless of “low” ketone readings. Try tracking your progress with a tape measure (neck, waist, hips, upper arms) if you aren’t already and, if you want to weigh, give yourself a good few weeks in between jumping on the scales.

I hear your frustration re ketone readings and pace of weight loss. All I can do is encourage you to eat real food, keep your carbs very low, eat enough protein for your height, choose fatty protein sources and eat the fat that naturally comes with that protein, without adding a lot of extra fat. I looked at the ingredients in that fat bomb product and I wouldn’t put them in my body. Check the MCT oil and the ingredients in your bullet proof coffee.

All the best and keep us posted!

(J) #27

Not sure what happened with my last post, something got all screwy with it. I’ll try again.

Thank you for the reply! When it comes to what I listed that I eat, I guess that’s more what I eat the most of but my usual day is 2 cups of coffee with 2 tbsp grass fed butter, couple drops of stevia extract, 1 tablespoon of Organic MCT oil and then I mix it all up. I don’t eat anything until lunch which during my work week is normally an avacado, 2 hard boiled eggs that I blend 1 tablespoon of Mayo with to make deviled eggs and either some jalapeño small patch cooked sausage or a small piece of meat depending on leftovers. Typically a 1/2 cup of pistachios as well. Dinner varies but I often make hamburgers or steak or chicken. Every know and then pork. Definitely lacking in the veggies department for the most part but that’s mostly due to the carbs. Being in a strict 20g of carbs doesn’t leave me a lot. I’m curious what about the fat bomb you are opposed to or was it just that it had several Ingredients? I’m always wanting to better things and learn. The main reason I ordered the fat bomb powder was because it was simple and natural. Powdered Sunflower oil, Powdered MCT Oil, cacao, sea salt, vanilla extract, stevia and monk fruit. I usually blend that with some almond milk and frozen avacado. Fills up my fat “quota” tastes great and gives me my “desert fix” also the MCT Oil ingredients are organic MCT Oil from non-GMO Organic coconuts.

(Megan) #28

Hi @Chino2012, I’m just not a fan of highly processed foods, is all. I looked up the ingredients of the fat bomb and it has a lot more ingredients than the ones you listed - it also has inulin, sodium caseinate, sunflower lecithin, silicon dioxide, mixed tocopherols, soluble corn fiber, and choline chloride. Getting a desert fix when you’re first starting can be helpful tho, as you transition away from foods and tastes from your previous unhealthy way of eating.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Forgive a comment, Michael, but I can’t help feeling that this is a flawed idea. Surely the amount of protein we need is determined by our body mass, not a percentage of anything. If someone is getting enough protein, that aids satiety, and all that is then necessary is to eat enough fat to satisfy hunger. Naturally, some people are going to need more protein, while others will need less, but the amount will be in some proportion to their lean mass, no?

On the other hand, the amount of fat they need will depend on their daily activities and their metabolic rate. And it takes less than half the amount of fat to provide the same number of calories as a given amount of carbohydrate (for example, 1200 kcal × 1/9 kcal/g = 133.3 g of fat, whereas 1200 kcal × 1/4 kcal/g = 300 g of carbohydrate).

I mention this primarily because of the number of newbies regularly finding these forums, who have been indoctrinated by other sites in the notion that fat is a mystical substance that promotes ketosis and weight loss, if only we consume enough of it. The reality is that we only need enough fat to replace the energy lost by no longer eating carbohydrate, and it’s safe to each because it triggers just enough insulin release for us to be able to make use of it, instead of the radical insulin release required to keep carbohydrate (also known as glucose) out of the blood stream so it won’t damage our bodies.

(Robin) #31

I had the same thoughts Paul, but not the details to back them up. Just my own experience.

(Chuck) #32

@PaulL, @robintemplin, @MattWisti
I have learned to just eat what I need to be satisfied, to no longer worry about the balance of micronutrients just ensure that I don’t eat stuff I know I shouldn’t eat. And I always seem to stay with in my range of carbs and a good balance of fat and protein