Ketone level in blood

(Kannan Kumarasamy) #1

I am diabetic and following Keto diet for the past one year I was feeling tired and lost appetite in total when tested blood my ketone level was 8.5. My doctor says it is not good and advised me to take about 60gm of carb day what will happen if I take more carb than I am taking now

(Naomi Brewster) #2

Hi - I am not diabetic but had a very interesting thing happen a couple of days ago. My ketone levels seem to fairly consistently stay at the 1-2 mark but when I tested the other day I was 5.9mml which surprised the hell out of me. I had a tooth infection that day and I wondered somehow if that was affecting my ketone levels. Have you go anything odd happening at the moment which may be elevating your levels ? Infection, stress, sleep disturbance etc. I’m guessing here but worth considering. 8 is too high I think. Good luck working it out

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #3

Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic? If you’re type 1 (or late stage type 2 where your pancreas is shot out, aka type 1.5 diabetes) then ketoacidosis is something you need to worry about. Ketoacidosis is when your blood becomes too acidic because of high ketone levels, but unless your insulin production is compromised your ketone levels should be regulated so they don’t become dangerous. 8.5 is really high but not unheard of among healthy people and it doesn’t become dangerous until it’s in the 15-25 range. I haven’t heard of anyone with type 2 diabetes getting ketoacidosis, only type 1 diabetics and alcoholics with severe liver damage.