KetoMojo Ketone and Glucose Meter Initial Impression Review

(VLC.MD) #81

A bit.
Less that you think !

(Mitch Fields) #82

There are many factors that can cause variances in the readings. The only way to really know if any meter is accurate is to test it against lab work, and even then, multiple times. When these meters are given the tested ranges of variance by the FDA, it is against lab work and over a spread of n=100. Or over 100 tests. So it wouldn’t be unusual for 4 tests to have the range you’ve shown. But over 100 tests, the keto-mojo is tested at 5% variance.

The FDA allows for up to 20% variance with glucometers. You can check and some very popular meters have 20% as acceptable range. One is the OneTouch. If you do a search for glucometer accuracy you will find many that are very inaccurate in testing.

Being new, the keto-mojo meter has been and continues to be tested by many in the industry. Some of you may be familiar with Dave Feldman. He took the keto-mojo and the precision xtra and tested them against multiple lab tests he did on himself and has published the results here. http://cholesterolcode.com/the-game-of-glucose-part-ii/

So if we’re truly to discuss accuracy, it needs to be done in a controlled and fair manner, wouldn’t you say?

(kimhowerton) #83

Yes the keto mojo shows you hemocrit

that additional accuracy is related to glucose not ketone testing.
There are no machines that test a combo of glucose and ketones on the same strip - you need the type of strip you want to test. So if you want to test glucose… you need glucose strips. Keto mojo prices are so much better than anyone elses.

(Jen) #84

Has anyone heard anything more about the control solution? I didn’t think I’d need it, but ever since I started using my second pack of test strips, they’ve only given me a “Lo” reading and I’m assuming there’s something wrong. I wasn’t in full keto-mode for a couple days over Thanksgiving, but I have been ever since and I can’t imagine I should really be reading “Lo.”

(Damon Chance) #85

Did you calibrate the new strips?

(Jen) #86

I did. :frowning:

(Damon Chance) #87

I would call them and get some suport.

(Mister Mojo) #88

There are many factors that can come into play when taking and comparing readings between meters. One of the best articles that we have found is this following peer-reviewed publication

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769960/ Factors Affecting Blood Glucose Monitoring: Sources of Errors in Measurement. Barry H. Ginsberg, M.D., Ph.D.

Also when testing multiple times between meters or all on the same drop the exposure time in the air due to coagulation is also an issue. Here is another good article on that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4455462/ Impact of a Time Delay Between Capillary Blood Sampling and Glucose Measurement. Guido Freckmann, MD, Stefan Pleus, MS, Annette Baumstark, PhD, Christina Schmid, PhD, Manuela Link, ME, and Cornelia Haug, MD

When comparing meters it’s really important to follow strict hygiene protocols with a control. The PX uses 50% more blood than us, ours is 1 pico liter, there’s is 1.5 Any contaminants will show an anomaly.

I am sorry I have not been very frequent in answering questions we have been a little busy since I lost my home in the fires in California. But tag me in questions and I will do my best to drop in and answer from time to time when possible. keto-on my friends.

(Dawn) #89

I continue to just get LO as a reading. I will keep trying but these little strips are expensive to just get bad readings.

(Laurie) #90

So sorry to hear you’ve lost your home. I have friends whose home was lost in the Sonoma fires and it is devastating.

(Mister Mojo) #91

@lostinyonkers Control solutions are now available on our website. Getting BHB ketones bottled is VERY expensive and there are not many suppliers. Sorry about that (salts are easy!) When you say you are getting a Lo reading I think one needs to also say what your Macros are in grams, age, weight and activity level. There are many factors that can affect the bodies ability to get into ketosis. Knowing those we are able to assist more. Talking of assist, I do not often jump into this forum. if you think you are having an issue with your meter please contact customer support via FB messenger https://www.facebook.com/messages/t/376798876033134 or you email groove (at) keto-mojo.com

What are your glucose readings?

(Dawn) #93

I don’t know. Only got keto strips for Christmas. I don’t have glucose strips :grin:

I don’t use the Keto Mojo for glucose because the strips are expensive and not readily available. Every corner drug store sells glucometer and strips. I bought mine at Walmart because the strips were less than $10 for 50.

Measuring BG is a better proxy for insulin than ketones. If your glucose is low, your body is using fat for energy.

(Cathy) #95

I respectfully disagree that glucose is a better proxy for insulin. If you think about it, the measuring of glucose only means that your body is controlling glucose worse or better. You don’t know how much insulin it is using in order to do that.

As an example, many people (myself included) have higher than ‘normal’ morning fasting blood glucose. This is because they (I) am fully keto adapted and as a function of that, insulin is down regulated and when gluconeogenesis happens during ‘waking up’, the glucose produced shows up as there is less insulin to deal with it. It is known as physiological insulin resistance (NOT pathological). Some suggest it should be called ‘glucose sparing’. The point being that glucose measures don’t tell much except until the body can no longer produce enough insulin and that is then diabetes.

Dr. Robert Kraft has some very good work on this aspect of insulin and what is happening over years before glucose becomes abnormal.

I agree. BG and insulin are not synonymous. But insulin can’t be measured at home. We only have BG and ketones. BG is better correlated to insulin than ketones, which gives us information on lipolysis but no indication of what’s going happening on the other side. Furthermore, the GKI index gives us a reference.

When someone develops a insulin meter we’ll really be able to nail things down…

I don’t know if this has already been addressed, but when I get a low reading on the Keto Mojo, it usually indicates that I didn’t have a large enough drop of blood. Just my experience.

(J Dennis Koyle) #98

What does the test solution do? My understanding is it is used to be sure the meter is reading within the range of the specified solution. But that range is quite wide. When I got the KM it tested very close to my previous tester, (ReliOn Confirm). After using the KM for a few boxes, I bought a new ReliOn Premier. The Premier reads from 20 to 30+ points higher every reading from the same drop of blood. How can I determine which meter is correct? (I did use the coder strip on the KM and I have considered it predictable and accurate until I got the Premier). Should I return the Premier to Walmart?

(Rich Berry) #99

Just received my Keto mojo, first results ketones 1.5, glucose 97.

(Robert Hollinger) #100

i ordered the solution but that is the only thing I’m frustrated about. the reference range for the solution is something like 1.5 - 2.5 and it showed up in the middle. I assume that’s good but the range is a bit disconcerting. otherwise I’ve been happy with my ketomojo…