Ketofest 2022

(Bob M) #21

I wonder if the proof of vaccination is two shots (assuming mRNA) or those plus booster? I got the two shots, was about to get boosted (for my age group), but then got covid. I assume I’m ok.

I might not be able to swing the dinner, although that would be great.

What I think will likely happen is the science stuff will be half a day, while the cooking demos will be half a day. I could be wrong, though.

And I’m not sure showing vaccination will help toward reducing spread of covid. Both my daughter and I were vaccinated and we both got covid. (None of the other members of the family got it, though, even while we were in the house with them.)

And the rapid tests are getting pretty bad at giving positive results (which may be because the viral load is smaller? Not sure). I had symptoms, tested, got negative result. Did not test again, but when I gave blood a few weeks later, I got a “reactive+” , meaning that I just had covid. One of our friends got sick, had multiple negative rapid tests before she got a positive. Just had a family over this weekend, the mom had symptoms, took a test the night before, not positive. Came over to our house the next morning, went home, tested positive. Then the whole family went home and tested positive after most of my family had been with them in enclosed spaces including cars.

PCR would have caught these, but none of us are doing those, since the rapid tests are available.

I think the other issue is that the symptoms are often to be confused with a cold or other similar virus. Also, the exposure cycle is weird. At this point I have twice had sick teenagers and no one else got it. Both times I was in the car with them the day they were diagnosed

(carl) #23

After much debate, we have changed our COVID policy for Ketofest 2022. We are requiring either proof of negative COVID test results within 24 hours OR proof of vaccination at the event. https://ketofest.com

(Bob M) #24

I’ll bring my proof of vaccination.

By the way, I misspoke above. I thought I had covid because my blood test taken when giving blood said “reactive+” for antibodies. I’ve since determined the testing used by the Red Cross uses the spike protein, so I cannot know whether this is due to the vaccine or due to covid. I think I had a cold (negative at home test), though my wife thinks I had covid. Can’t tell.

(carl) #25

You won’t miss anything. We’ve organized the schedule so you can watch everything

How about instead of vax proof or neg test an antibody test. After all, its the only thing that really matters.

This was a great podcast to listen to. Especially for contrary thinkers. Good info on Ketofest.

(Bob M) #28

Not quite correct. I have high value on an antibody test…because I got a vaccine. Furthermore, this tells you nothing about whether you can spread the virus at that point in time.

Moreover, just because you’ve had covid does not mean you won’t get it again. The woman who cuts my hair got covid, recovered, got two shots of mRNA vaccine, and got covid again.

Probably the best idea is to require everyone to get a rapid test the day of.

(Bob M) #29

Will we be able to ask questions of the presenters? I’m particularly interested in this:

Dr. Eric Westman, MD MHS (Keto Reverses Heart Failure)

Low-carb, high-fat diets can reverse obesity and Type 2 diabetes, but there are still concerns that dietary fat contributes to heart disease. In this talk we will review the fuel utilization of the heart and demonstrate a clinical case study of reversal of heart failure (with reduced ejection fraction) using a low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet. It is known that cardiac muscle is mainly fueled by fatty acids and ketones, and that insulin resistance is considered an underlying cause of heart failure. Using a ketogenic diet to improve insulin resistance and lose weight may prove useful to treat individuals affected by heart failure and obesity.