Keto Warnings for Noobs?

Any good warnings on keto for noobs?

1. Drink plenty of water a day: 100 oz? Particularly in the beginning
  2. Plenty of electrolytes: magnesium, potassium, sodium (avocado, spinach, bone broth)
  3. Beware of hidden carb creep
  4. Not too much protein, enough fat

Here’s just a few…

• I’ve read that the goal on daily water is around 1 gallon a day. (128 fluid ounces) I tend to drink a lot more than that, but I’m looking at trying to cut it back, so as to not flush electrolytes out as much.

• If/when you start fasting (later on, after you’re fat adapted) Don’t use eggs to break a fast/re-feed. Tends to cause diarrhea in some. I’ve been using small salad or Olives an hour before eating something else.

• Eat enough protein to meet daily needs and eat fat to satiety.

• Check out @Brenda KetoAide homemade … Very good for keeping up the electrolytes.

• Weigh/Measure everything. Guessing quantities usually ends up being wrong, and at times causes folks to go over or under their desired numbers.

Bit late, so that’s all can think of presently as far as warnings. … I’m sure others can provide many more though.

(TJ Borden) #3

I’m with you on 2-4, but 100oz of water???

Just like eating when you’re hungry and not when you’re not; drink when you’re thirsty. Drinking water just for the sake of drinking water is just going to flush electrolytes out of your system.

Even the whole 8-8oz glasses of water a day is really just based on what our bodies needed to process all the shit (see what I did there?) we ate on the SAD.

If you find yourself thirsty for 100 oz a day, go for it, and make sure you’re replenishing electrolytes, but don’t force yourself to drink water because you think there’s a specific goal.

I’ve found that I drink much less water now (especially compared to when I was T2D), and on top of that I drink quite a bit of sparkling mineral water (thanks to a Dr Berg recommendation @atomicspacebunny shared). Before keto I couldn’t stand the stuff, but now I find it not only tastes great, but actually quenches thirst way better than tap water.

As far as advice to newbies; stick the basics and don’t stress. Keto is easy and delicious.

In the beginning eat keto foods, a lot, all the time.(string cheese, cream cheese, bacon, avocado, macadamia nuts, steak, butter) Worry about limiting carbs and that’s about it.
Net carbs doesnt work for me. I use total carbs and limit to 20g a day.
Once the fog clears and the miracle happens you can start focusing heavily on your macros, intermittent fasting and even extended fasting. Fasting is easy once you gain control of your body.
*Urine strips are pretty much useless. They tell you that your body has produced ketones and shows you, in confusing colors how much you’re not using. It is not an indicator of being fat adapted.
The last thing I’ll say is be careful with protein intake as it’s easy to rack up in the beginning while adapting.

(Diane) #5

I wouldn’t use nuts to break a fast either. It seems lots of people have issues with both eggs and nuts when breaking a fast.

Yes ma’am, I indeed forgot to mention nuts as well. Almost every time someone mentioned not using eggs to break a fast, they also mentioned not using nuts as well. … So far a small salad, then something other than those two items has been working fine. :slight_smile: