Keto vs mediterranean

You didn’t ask me but of course I can’t resist… Maybe it will be informative to see it from my perspective.

There is a very huge chance that on that specific day I don’t fancy such things (but if I ever get tempted on any way, I eat the stuff). Okay, I basically never fancy these things as I overdid sweets on keto… I still like their taste but I don’t feel the need for them and a piece of good meat is superior.

I probably will eat the annual cake (there is a competition, sugary cake, sugar free cake, ice cream every year in this country, the cakes are called “the country’s cake” for that year and sold in many cake shops for a long time) if I manage to cycle to a not so nearby town with a wonderful cake shop (well they get awards, it’s not like I ate more than 1-2 cakes there in the last decade). It’s very far for my cycling abilities so if I manage to do it, it will be fine (and the carbs go to my muscles).
It’s more like tradition, nostalgy and curiosity and about the several hour cycling tour as I really got bored of cakes and I can make great keto cakes and great carnivore ice cream anyway… Sugar just makes those things worse in most cases. I do have my old favs and my love towards most fruits is probably forever.

But I go off keto all the time anyway. It’s just not because of sweets as keto sweets are more than good enough… Except Timtams I suppose. Good thing I can’t buy them and they are inedibly sweet anyway (but that’s what black coffee is for, among others).
But the main culprit is fruits in fruit season :slight_smile: Or bread. I never was into bread and easily lived without any for several years but since I realized bread is good sometimes, I just need to put enough eggs into it… And it’s not that very high-carb anyway. Still too carby for keto as I eat up the whole thing.

My old fav cake is impossible to make low-carb and I wouldn’t bother anyway, it’s complicated, I always bought it. I just… Never buy it now. It’s less than zero sacrifice for me, I have way better food and all the desserts I want.

And TALKING about carby food I like (or not)? Somehow that helps.

(Chuck) #43

I have never had an issue with my blood sugar, even at my heaviest my blood sugar would be close to being low. Some say it is because my insulin response is over active. My mom’s mother was type two diabetic, my sister is pre diabetic. Myself my sister’s son’s and my son and daughter all have signs of hyperglycemia if we eat a high carb diet. We all are eating low carb and doing great with it. My sister knows she should be eating low carb and is slowly changing her diet, but she has other issues that her doctors really don’t recommend she eat low carb. As for as BP I was on medication for my BP from the time I was 29 until the first of this year. On BP medication I was having readings of 135/90 now my readings are 115/70 without medication. I am less stressed even with my severe hearing loss issues.

It’s interesting I could walk and hike and sometimes even went to motorbike riding all alone but cycling alone? Nope, I always do it together with my SO. And it’s not good as I am WAY slower and stop a lot especially when I am rusty and I am often rusty.
I really need to start running and we will buy a stationary bike, they should help I suppose… I am bad at cardio as I prefer other exercise (I know it’s useful but if I dislike something, I hardly can do it especially if I can get away with it) and almost never do it and cycling is partly cardio here…

But it’s SPRING here and my spirit is high and want to do much more than before!

I enjoy my salads and veggies every day. I must be in ketosis eating this way (keto diet) since my a1c went from 7.2 to 5.4 in only 3 months.

What exactly are keto sweets?

Low-carb sweets, obviously. Keto cakes, keto ice cream, keto chocolate… Some people makes sweet fat bombs too, they never were my thing except the chocolate…
And my beloved jellied fluff, the original recipe said “marshmallow” but it isn’t even similar to marshmallow I think… I barely remember as I promptly put egg yolks into it and I kept that :smiley:
I never manages to make my favs, wafers keto style (or in any other way. I planned to buy a wafer maker but it takes up space and after enough years on/off carnivore it sounds a very unnecessary thing… but I do love wafers. it was about the only sweets I kept buying - very rarely - even after I went low-carb as I was unable to make them and nothing replaced them)…

But one can live without sweets. Only eating desserts :smiley: I ate a ton of pancakes on keto and in the beginning on carnivore. But they are not so fun on carnivore (unsweetened enjoyable dessert pancake that doesn’t make me want proper sweet pancake in my favorite flavors, that is tricky for me) so I stopped. Now I have my jellied fluff.

One can buy keto sweets too but I only had a tiny piece of chocolate that way. I make my own stuff, much better.