Keto vs mediterranean

(Chuck) #21

You are lucky. I have tried a lot of different diets but Atkin and low carb is all that has worked. My problem in the past was that I lost the weight then was dumb enough to think I could go back to eating like I did before, and gained my weight back then some. This time I am going to do my best to keep on the low carb diet

I’m not lucky if I get a stroke …lol

(Central Florida Bob ) #23

When you ask most people where to get potassium, they’ll say have a banana. An avocado is a richer source. From the USDA Food Data Central site:

Avocado 100 grams
Potassium, K 507 mg

Banana 100 grams
Potassium, K 358 mg

Animals have an intricate cellular mechanism called the sodium/potassium pump. That Wikipedia link ought to be a good start.

The practical meaning of this is that animal products and muscle (meat) are good sources of potassium. Muscles won’t contract properly, especially the heart, without the Na-K pump working properly - which is why a sign of potassium deficiency is muscle cramps. It’s also a good sign of a magnesium deficiency.

The explanation I heard for the emphasis on bananas was that when they started measuring how much of a given element was in food, it was expensive and they looked at plants because “everybody knows” that meat is a good source of it.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to have a potassium deficiency on keto or carnivore, just that you probably don’t need to go out of your way to get it. Medications can interfere with potassium absorption and, well, all sorts of things. I’m sure there must be some medical conditions that interfere with potassium, too.

Hope that helps.

Bananas being high in sugar are NOT a good choice on a keto diet plan. What about magnesium supplements?

Magnesium is easier, there are all those green leaves I always disliked :smiley: But most ketoers seem to have no problems with them.
Cocoa powder has a lot too.
We just need a little help, our normal food is supposed to have a very significant part of our needs… I get the bigger half of it from meat and eggs.

I eat a green salad and cooked vegetables every day in addition to my animal protein

How many grams of carbs in an average avocado?

did ya start any new medications or have any other med issues?
just wondering.

It seems strange that you would jump into that actually on Keto. Kinda in a way makes no sense LOL I don’t even think ‘salt’ did this to ya.

Are ya dealing with big big stress or ??

See for me Keto ‘shouldn’t’ do this to ya to this level ever and if you didn’t increase salt much in big form at all when ya went Keto then what salt do you need to drop?

hmmm…you are perplexing me on this one :slight_smile:

from the net: However, if your blood pressure increases after starting the diet a couple of things may be happening. Here are some of the most common reasons for this phenomenon:

• Adapting to keto and/or dieting is increasing your stress levels, which leads to higher blood pressure.
  • You have certain genes that cause higher sodium intake to increase blood pressure.

from the net: Conversely, if your blood pressure increases in response to a higher sodium diet, consider increasing your intake of potassium from supplements, low carb veggies, and avocados and limiting your salt intake. By increasing potassium intake and limiting sodium, you should be able to get your blood pressure under control.

from the net: A low-carbohydrate diet incorporating fats from olive oil along with vegetables and fish characteristic of the Mediterranean Diet may be the best diet for lowering blood pressure. For a deeper look at the research, check out our article on keto and blood pressure.

ok that is what I found about it all kinda :slight_smile: Hope you are doing ok tho!!

(Chuck) #29

I am 75, I have seen children has a stroke, I have seen perfectly healthy athletes have strokes and heart attacks, my grandmother died of a stroke with a smile on her face because she was going to meet her God. My next door neighbor had a stroke at about Thanksgiving and is still dealing with brain swelling. They all ate the so called healthy standard American diet. I will take my chances by eating the way that makes me feel the best I can, I have energy now that I haven’t had since my 30s, I am headache free, my blood pressure is normal for the first time since my late 20s. I am off prescription medication for the first time since my late 20s. When I tell people my age they can’t believe I am that old. When I see friends and family that I haven’t seen in years they say they wouldn’t believe was me. To be honest I look younger now than I did when I was 45 or 50.
Could I die at anytime from a heart attack or stroke possibly that is the age I am now.
I don’t worry about tomorrow I live for today, because today is all that any of us have.

I too am convinced that limiting carbs is key. I need to find the right blend of animal protein, fats, oils are right for me.

Let me ask you this. On your birthday do you ever have a piece of cake or ice cream?..lol

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

USDA says a “whole fruit” California avocado (I read that as a Haas avocado, not the bigger, greener Florida avocados). Is about 12 grams total, 9 grams fiber, so 3 grams net.
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171706/nutrients

I’ve never eaten a whole avocado.

Magnesium, I’m sensitive to magnesium (maybe the mineral balance of Mg, K, Na). I’m also (temporarily) on prescription Prilosec which lists depleting magnesium as a common side effect, so I take this:

Before I got put on the drug, two of those once a day was all I needed. Now I’m up to the label’s two twice a day.

(MC) #32

If you think back to what our ancestors ate, a lot of leafy greens and the whole animal. I was watching a cooking show where a very old Italian lady was making lasagne, there was no pasta, just greens and meat.

My goto is swiss chard, but I do add a little coconut water to drinks to top up, plus I somehow found a potassium chloride supplement on Amazon that was over the 99mg limit.

Cronometer.com is pretty good for giving a rough idea of what you can expect in terms of minerals and vitamins. For instance, 100g of chard is about 550mg of potassium.

(Chuck) #33

I just came back from a 2 week vacation with a 9 day cruise, I had a small amount of ice cream and a how chocolate chip cookie several times on the cruise, I also had sushi and some wine. I didn’t over do any of it just enough to realize that my digestive system no longer can tolerate sugar, and I haven’t been on low carb but about 4 months at that time. Do I have cravings. No I don’t. And I no longer want to feel like I stuffed myself either. On average I intermittent fast for 17 hours a day. I am eating more calories now than I ate on high carb diet, I was always hungry on the high carb diet and I craved sugar and bread. Now while I do eat more calories I don’t crave anything and I am not hungry, I eat because I have seen that my body is reacting positively to food and not negatively. I am slimming down like I haven’t been since I was a teenager. I have more energy than I can remember. I am more active to as my body doesn’t want to be still. I hike, I ride my Vespa and I do more and more of the house work and yard work than I use to be able to do.

Ive been on a keto diet for 7 months now, will be 70 years old come September. My appetite hasn’t diminished or changed much since I started on keto. I still get hungry 3 times a day. My weight has remained the same within 5 to 7 pounds my whole adult life. Have never been overweight. However I find it difficult to go more than 4 to 5 hours without a meal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

That’s how things are supposed to be. You are doing fine. The reason the advice has become to eat three meals a day with snacks in between and a snack before bedtime is that people have a hard time controlling hunger on the standard high-carb diet that raises insulin so much. Insulin interferes with the appetite hormones to keep us hungry (makes sense if you think of eating lots of sweet stuff in order to get fat before winter).

(Chuck) #36

I was that way on a high carb diet. But as I say I am low carb and not really keto. I allow myself 50 carbs a day. I eat nuts, pig skins, and 90% cocoa dark chocolate. My breakfast most days is a smoothie that I created that starts my day off with energy to spare. I eat my evening meal at about 4:30 to 5pm and don’t eat anything else for at least 16 hours. I sleep better by not eating for about 6 hours before bedtime. My digestive system is functioning better.

I am no longer diabetic thanks to my keto diet. I just wish my BP could be better since I dont want to start on hypertensive medicine

Have you tested your blood sugar recently, HBa1c ? I was diabetic and didnt even know it. Long term effects are drastic on all body organs

Yay! :smiley: It’s nice to read such stories :slight_smile:
I am still young-ish, only 46, I felt fine on HCHF but I definitely feel better with little carbs :slight_smile:
I want to live a long, pretty healthy life and one can’t just continue with subpar diets then, even with good genetics. Of course it’s not all about the diet, I lift and walk and plan to run and cycle a lot too…

(Chuck) #40

It your age I was cycling daily with my son. But when he left for college and I tried cycling by myself it wasn’t the same. So I started walking and hiking. My dad raised me to hunt and fish, but I have never been someone that can set still for any amount of time.