Keto vs Herbalife

(Sheila Osburn) #22

Thanks for the welcome! I’m excited to see my progress. Thing is I did not try to restrict calories just tried to make healthier decisions in what I ate. I actuaIly ate more while on Herbalife. I still cheated! I kept going for two years and toned and started running 5ks. I had more energy and wasn’t hungry between meals and snacks. I only failed when I binged after losing my cousin and three uncles in a matter of months. But with keto it makes sense. I’m still researching and learning but it’s winning me over. I’ve seen the success people have had. Nutrition is important to me so I’m trying to get away from the meal replacers and eat more wholesome meals. It’s a major plus to save money.

(Chris) #23

You’re correct but missing the fact that it’s also a soy based product which greatly trashes your hormones and the business model is a multi level marketing scam.

(PSackmann) #24

So sorry to hear about your loss @Sheila_Osburn. :cry::cry: .

Just wait until you’re fat adapted and can go 24 hours or more without significant hunger.

(John) #25

Lots of things can work. Weight Watchers worked pretty well for me when I did it years ago and I learned some valuable techniques for estimating portion sizes and total amount of food to consume in a day. I just didn’t stick with it.

I have also been able to lose weight in the past on a more conventional low-fat, calorie restriction diet combined with regular significant exercise (3 miles of walking / running 5 days a week + 3 days/week of weightlifting). Again, just didn’t stick with it. It takes a big time commitment to exercise that much and it doesn’t take much to derail you. Weather, work or family, injuries.

My wife lost some weight doing Medi-fast. She didn’t like the foods and didn’t stick with it.

Pretty much any way of eating that causes you to pay attention to what you are eating and manage total intake will work. It just has to be something you’ll stick to forever.

The thing I like about a low-carb diet is that it doesn’t require me to buy anything other than healthy foods at the grocery store, no membership fees, no meetings, no expensive packaged products. Just real, healthy foods.

Though there are other diets that have those same features - Mediterranean and DASH for example. The difference, for me at least, is the natural appetite suppression and hunger control that seems to come easier from keeping carbs low.

As you have observed, the problem with your product-based diet is being able to afford all of the products. If you are able to lose weight with Herbalife products, then you are kind of stuck with using them forever. Because unless you change something else, when you stop doing whatever caused you to lose weight, it will come back.

(Susan) #26

Exactly this, this is why, why other “diets” work they are not sustainable lifestyles, like Keto is =-).

(Sheila Osburn) #27

I’m not missing that fact. I realize that, which is why I’m seeking other resources.

(April Harkness) #28

Not a fan of herbalife AT ALL. I have a cousin who shills the stuff. She was posting all over facebook because she lost weight on it. Of course she did. She went from breakfast of huge muffins and a frappucino for breakfast to an herbalife shake and from her typical fast food meal to a shake. Of course she lost. ANd then she started doing those workouts at the herbalife “nutrition centers.” Call me a training snob but those workouts would NOT even count as my warmup.

Well she sent all her relatives a message about how we can lose weight with herbalife. i told her no thanks I didn’t need to lose weight. I was concentrating on getting stronger. And then she sent me some stock herbalife pic (I know they were NOT her clients) of slightly muscular people and told me Herbalife can help me get stronger in lifting weights.

NO. it offended me to tell you the truth. What will get me stronger is training my olympic lifting movements with proper technique and a good coach, not an herbalife shake. IF she had just told me it might give me energy to fuel my workouts (I still wouldn’t buy it.) that may be more honest. But to go from weight loss…to it will help me be a better weightlifter. SCAM. LIES. And to have someone who can’t lift 1/4 of the weight I can try to sell me these shakes? Please. KEto and IF. I don’t have to buy anything special. With keto carnivore i just have to buy some beef. Fatty beef will do me more good when it comes to lifting heavy barbells than some shake.

(Lorena) #29

When something sounds too good to be true it usually is in the long run. I always ask myself if I am willing to buy or follow ‘whatever it is’ for the rest of my life? If it’s expensive or “faddy” the answer is usually NO. With Keto all I have to do is make the decision to not eat a lot of carbs. Costs nothing. All the foods I need are readily available and foods I would eat for a normal diet. Can I do that for the rest of my life? YES. If someone has to sell me on something I would probably think that the person it’ll benefit is them ($$$). As JohnH said, lots of methods can work but it’s what will work for the long haul that is most important.