Keto vet

(Richard) #1

I just got a new puppy and want him to stay as healthy as possible. Any Keto vets out there that have experience and recommendations?
I’ve seen a supposedly Keto kibble but it seems to have its share of carbs, just no grains! It also isn’t very high in fat.
I’ve found some info on raw diets but they’re expensive and my guess is are of dubious sources.
I also have a chihuahua that needs to lose about 20% of his weight. If I cut his intake it will just slow him down and decrease his energy. Would a human type Keto diet work on him I wonder? He has no problem w our 3 mile walks so is in good shape…he just seems to have a big belly, snores and maybe some variant of sleep apnea
Any suggestions or good sources that I can check out would help
Thanks

(MelissaH) #2

I’ve been feeding all 3 of my dogs a raw diet for over 2 years. I also have a chihuahua lol she’s a rescue that has bad teeth, I just need to cut her food and bones smaller. I feed them whatever is on sale, lot’s of variety, and bone marrow as treats. Organ meats are important. Some dogs are picky when you switch them to raw. Anything is better then regular dog food. My oldest goldendoodle has/had skin allergies that are much better.

My 8 1/2 year old pointer-lab-pit mix (a rescue 7 years ago) is so spoiled she won’t eat raw meat. Not only does it have to be grilled, fricassed or pot roasted, it has to be seasoned as well. Hmm, too accustom to daddy’s scraps and handouts I guess.

Otherwise she gets grain-free A Taste Of the Wild dog chow.

(Allie) #4

I won’t feed anything but raw to my boy.

(Cindy) #5

I’ve switched my Golden to raw, too. When I started eating keto and doing the research, I was like “Geez, if carbs are that bad for me (omnivore), how much worse are they for dogs (carnivores)?” I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference yet in things like her coat, energy, weight (she needs to lose some), but it’s only been a few weeks.

As for expense…I don’t think it’s more expensive than a “good” dry food. I watch for chicken on sale, usually spend 79 or 99 cents/lb. I can find chicken liver and gizzards for $1.99 a container, I add in an occasional egg, find things like pig’s feet, chicken claws, etc, that are inexpensive.

Plus, just like with me, I’ve noticed she’s not as hungry. She used to sit at her bowl wanting more food. Now, I feed her twice/day (will eventually go OMAD) and she’s not staring a her food bowl in between times. So the quality of her food as gone up, but her hunger is down…so there’s a savings there, too.

And last…I just like knowing what she’s getting. No worries about food recalls, etc.

(Ken) #6

The humble hot dog works well as a protein and fat source. So do eggs.