Keto vegetables

Do you think we miss out on important nutrients if we are eating so few greens and especially if those greens may be devoid of nutrients due to poor soils etc?
What about the folks who are eating ZC? Are they missing anything such as Vitamin C?
Scurvy?

(Peter Barney) #23

Good quality veg is an important part of my ketogenic woe, yes I get my micro nutrients, but mainly its for my microbiota. The way I see it fats and protiens fuel me first port of call in my small intestine and my overal health comes from my large intestine.
We are missing out on alot of nutrition with the growing practises of many growers today and interaction with the benifical soil microbes.
Guys that are doing ZC shouldnā€™t miss out nutritionally as long as they are informed about their diet and our seeking out good sources of micro nutrients say in organ meats.
For me my veg should be nutrient dense high in lipids not overly full of sugars I like the flavor especially when dripping in butter, but the main reason is for all those other critters keeping my immune system regulated and me at optimum health.

(Carpe salata!) #24

I buy 6 Lebanese cucumbers , 4 red capsicums and a celery bunch. Chop into small dices on a mandolin, add mayo, apple cider vinegar, pepper, dried herbs, some smoked salt ā€¦ mix in large bowl then put into 5 containers for lunches. It seems to store fine for a week or 2. Must be the vinegar.

I guess they are about 10 carbs each.

I look for the darkest coloured ones. I figure they have the most vitamins.

Thanks for that link!

That is quite a feat, 100 fruit trees, and then going Keto, yikes! I just plantes 2 heirloom apples, 2 beach plms and a grape vineā€¦and then, Keot. So, it appears Iā€™ll be sharing the bounty from those, since my husband couldnā€™t eat all of that himself.
I still plan to try my hand at espalier just the same and get the satisfaction of a lovely, living fence!

Wow @Helewisa and @madaboutchooks, you are pulling at my permaculture heartstrings! I took an online certificate course with Geoff Lawton in permaculture and since going keto, have re-thought my dream design of our backyard. I figure berries are still a good bet, and nut trees though we may not live in this house long enough to ever reap the harvest. In the meantime, I finally planted some asparagus, someday weā€™ll have that. But if I ever get a real veggie garden going, it will be a miracle, those darn rabbits.

(Cathy Schroder) #28

I took the same course! Of course it helps that I live on 4000 acre farm. Plenty of space.

(Cathy Schroder) #29

I have some pretty happy co-workers!

(Norma Laming) #30

Thatā€™s my thinking too, though many ZCers roll their eyes at the microbiome stuff.

(Jane Reed) #31

Online PDC with Geoff Lawton in 2014, moved to 2 1/3 acres, started planting fruit trees, then went keto last fall. My loss, my neighborsā€™ gain.

But I love to garden, the greatest pleasure is in the growing. I put in one tomato plant and have already given away far more than Iā€™ve eaten. Carbs be damned, Iā€™m enjoying my homegrown tomatoes.

Asparagus is a pretty good idea, though. Iā€™d have to dig out a bed and line it with hardware cloth. We have 2 garden nemeses here: deer and gophers. We also have to watch for the occasional rabbit and vole. Iā€™ve finally got my deer fence up and every individual perennial I plant has to have a cage under it to foil the gophers. Crops like lettuce go into a bed completely lined with hardware cloth.