Keto to fight cancer

(Sue Harrison) #1

Hi all. I’m a newbie here and have sucessfully low carbed for diabetes for 4 years.
Recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer, I had the chemo and radiotherapy last summer but it looks like it might have come back. I’m awaiting a PET scan to confirm that. I’m planning to drop the carbs to below 20g as I’ve read that ketosis can help battle cancer.
I’ve joined this forum to see if any of you have any experience and advice please

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

You might want to research some extended fasting also. I’m sorry for your diagnosis.

(Raj Seth) #3

Couple Keto dudes podcasts on it. Anything by Dr seefried (sp?)

Sending hugs to you. Check out the 2ketodudes podcast with Nasha Winters. It was very good as is her book “The Metabolic Approach to Cancer.” I bought it for my father, who has Stage 4 lung cancer and T2 diabetes. Another highly recommended book is “Keto for Cancer” by Miriam Kalamian.

Not a popular opinion but Im not sure your cancer cells discriminate a fuel source similarly to how your normal cells dont either. They can swap back and forth so if we extrapolate that Id assume cancer cells can also use ketones.

Id have to look up some publications or what not to really look into it but Im not sure there is a ton of research to back up Keto starving cancer.

(Sue Harrison) #6

Thanks everyone. I’m listening to the podcast with Dr. Nasha Winters now

Schmidt M, Pfetzer N, Schwab M, Strauss I, Kammerer U. Effects of a ketogenic diet on the quality of life in 16 patients with advanced cancer: A pilot trial. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2011;8:54. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-8-54. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]

Nebeling LC, Miraldi F, Shurin SB, Lerner E. Effects of a ketogenic diet on tumor metabolism and nutritional status in pediatric oncology patients: two case reports. J Am Coll Nutr. 1995;14:202–208.

Fine EJ, Segal-Isaacson CJ, Feinman R, Sparano J. Carbohydrate restriction in patients with advanced cancer: a protocol to assess safety and feasibility with an accompanying hypothesis. Commun Oncol. 2008;5:22–26.

Moulton CJ, Valentine RJ, Layman DK, Devkota S, Singletary KW, Wallig MA, Donovan SM. A high protein moderate carbohydrate diet fed at discrete meals reduces early progression of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced breast tumorigenesis in rats. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2010;7:1. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-7-1.

Just a few relevant published studies you can look up possibly at the library - can also try searching them on PubMed. There are 162 related published studies in the main article I linked.

(Michael) #8

Hi Sue, check out this ObesityCode podcast:

and follow links in replies to the topic.

Basically follow a low carb keto diet, take vitamin C in megadoses, get hyperbaric oxygen chamber time as well as hyperthermia treatment.

Because of a family history of Colon cancer I was conscious of the necessity for me to have a colonoscopy at 50 years old. Finally in March 2017, at 55 years old, I did an FOBT stool test which identified invisible (occult) blood in the sample. My GP referred me for a colonoscopy In March 2017 but the referral got lost. I had to return to my GP and request another referral and had the procedure in late May 2017. In early June I was told that I had colon cancer and required surgery and chemotherapy. I read my pathology reports and refused all treatment, except the polypectomy from which the pathology was generated, and ongoing monitoring. I followed a fasting regimen 5/7. I am now cancer free but my insurance company paid out on the critical illness element of my life assurance policy.

I am not convinced that I had cancer. Yes, I had malignancy in the head of a polyp but it had not invaded the bowel wall although there was a danger that cancer may have spread via a nerve fibre. This is my pathology report:

As regards my diet I had started Intermittent Fasting in mid 2016. In January 2017, I began fasting from Sunday midnight until Friday afternoon at 6pm with the intention of losing weight. In September 2017, I started following a Ketogenic diet.

Perhaps my malignancy was in regression due to IF and fasting but I was of the opinion that the malignancy was detected early and totally removed. I had another colonoscopy in August 2017 which was totally clear, much to the annoyance of the surgeon who had insisted on the necessity of removing my sigmoid colon in June 2017 plus chemotherapy thereafter. :triumph:

(bulkbiker) #9

Hi daisyduck and welcome to another fun place to be!

(Sue Harrison) #10

Hi Mark and thanks for the recommendation. Listened and watched loads and am slowly finding my way around here.

(Raj Seth) #11

Growing evidence that Cancer may be Type 4 Diabetes

Or really Type 4 Insulin overdose disease after obesity diabetes and Alzheimer’s

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

There is hard evidence that many cancer cells cannot metabolize ketones, only glucose. This is where the idea of eating keto to fight cancer came from.