Keto summer of cricket in Australia

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #1

Awwwww yeah!

@richard would appreciate this.

Is no-carb beer a no alcohol beer?

More questions to come.

(Robin) #3

Can’t relate to either one, but can relate to joy in that great photo!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #4

4.2% alcohol. I have no idea how they do it

(Robin) #5

If you have no idea how they do it, maybe they don’t really.

That’s my view! I find it weird AU is the only place that has 0 carb beer. Been like that for a while now, yet out of the 3 bazillion breweries in the US nobody’s pulled that off? Plus, I question how much it even matters. Carbs will get burned before fat, Alcohol will get burned before carbs, so if they’re both stopping the fat burn while they’re in our systems, what’s it matter which one it is? I’m thinking rounding or some loophole they have.

(Bob M) #7

Back when I drank beer, I thought Michelob Ultra was low carb? This says 2.6 grams per bottle:

I also thought Sapporo was low carb. Though maybe I’m wrong, as it’s about 8g/bottle.

The problem I had after drinking really good beers for a long time, was that these were wimpy. Tasted like water. But if you want a facsimile of beer, while staying low carb, they aren’t bad.

I’ve since gone to hard liquor, as beer is a trigger for me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

This is interesting, guess they think Australia doesn’t exist? Given it is A-B and People magazine it is doubtful it is truly going to be 0 carbs, some serious rounding has to be involved.

(Bob M) #9

Maybe a serving size is two ounces? Like salsa, with a serving size of 2 tablespoons. Who eats 2 tablespoons of salsa? No one. Give us 100 grams like everywhere else or at least something reasonable, like 1/2 a cup.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #10

Personally I prefer spirits, but I was watching cricket, so there’s that!

(Bob M) #11

I was in the US Navy, and went to Singapore. We turned on the television and started watching Cricket. We had absolutely no idea what was going on. For people used to (American) football and baseball, we couldn’t understand the rules.

(Doug) #12

:smile:

Yup! It’s the skim milk effect. Water pretending to be something it’s not.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #14

Oh it’s really very simple. All you need to do is spend years growing up in a Commonwealth country, immersed in cricket every summer, and slowly and meticulously learn all of the complicated rules over time. Easy peasy!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #15

Happily, I haven’t had beer in years, so it did a decent job substituting. Wasn’t brilliant but wasn’t gross either. Now the only question is what I do with the remaining 22 bottles in the slab!

(Alec) #16

Cricket is really not that different to baseball:

1. You have a bowler/pitcher and a batter
  2. The bowler/pitcher bowls the ball to the batter, who tries to hit it
  3. If the batter hits it, he runs: in baseball they run in a circle, in cricket they run up and down the pitch.
  4. The aim of the game is to make as many runs as possible.
  5. Each team has a number of batters and bowlers
  6. Each team has a number of innings: can be 1or 2 in cricket, 9 in baseball
  7. The batter can be out if certain conditions are met: the common one is the batter hits the ball and is caught; other than that there are different rules about getting the batters out between the games. Cricket is VERY complicated on this point, I think there are 10 ways to get out, and each of them has intricate rules.

So, there are lots of similarities between the games. But also acknowledged is that the devil is in the detail and when you get into the detail, the differences become quite stark (not Starc!).
Cheers
Alec

Its thirsty Thursday! Easy solution!