Keto-specific Restaurants

(Jim) #1

I just learned of Fern Kitchen here in Portland that is keto-friendly. Portland is often at forefront of new food trends, so I’m curious if other cities have keto-friendly places starting to pop up.

Yes, definitely. There’s a whole bunch posted over here:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/wildketo

Here’s one near where I live that is great, my daughter and I love eating here every now and again:

I don’t know of any “keto first” restaurants yet, but I rarely come across anywhere in the past year that’s not keto-friendly. There’s even a place near my office that is carbs carbs carbs (pizza and biscuits) but even there I’ve had no problems constructing something keto-friendly without any raised eyebrows.

Fast food seem to be all over it (McDonald’s and Chipotle are very straightforward and delicious) and restaurants like the above are explicitly adding “keto” options now. The only places I’ve really struggled with are local diners which seem to be keto-friendly (once you decline all the carby sides like toast and hash browns etc) but the meats are often sugary (inside sausage links etc) or you end up paying a lot for not much food.

(Bob M) #3

I find eating out to be tough. I rarely get enough to eat. For instance, I now avoid ordering fish, as if I do, I only get about maybe 6 ounces of fish. I have to order beef, as at least those usually list how big they are. (I can easily eat a pound of meat at a sitting. No problem.)

I still go out, but try to be somewhat selective as to where I go.

The main keto-friendly restaurant I know of around me is a Brazilian steak house, and other steak houses. I haven’t been to the Brazilian steak house yet.

(less is more, more or less) #4

This is a chain. Normally I’m not keen on chains, but I like their angle:

https://www.cleaneatz.com/

Here’s my testimony on a recent visit I wrote for Dr. Westman’s FB group page:

Well now, a pleasant surprise. A restaurant that caters to low-carb, paleo and protein-friendly diets. Below are my two allowed cups of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli and, well, I’m uncertain whether banana papers are Pg 4) shredded beef and the “CE Buffalo” sauce, which, staff assured me, is sugar-free. Wonderfully, the staff didn’t give me that “what planet are YOU from?” when I asked whether item x was sugar-free. CleanEatz is a chain restaurant. This one is in Cary, NC, right off Davis Dr and High House Rd. My paleo-leaning wife was happy, an added bonus.

(Libby) #5

I went to a Brazilian steak house in Baltimore Harbor and have to say it was one of the best restaurant experiences I’ve ever had. Expensive but well worth it! I wasn’t even keto then! I couldn’t believe how much meat I ate. They just kept offering it and I was all like, okay just a little more. I imagine now I would appreciate it even more. Drool.