Keto Skin - Bags and Wrinkles

skin
face
wrinkles

(Bunny) #41

Sounds like a BBQ! Mmmm!

(Bunny) #42

As far as I know from numerous scientific sources UV sensitivity comes from glycation (eating too much sugar) of the skin from excessive sugar intake; thatā€™s what really causes sensitivity to the sun and melanoma skin cancer to mention a few; not the fat soluable Vitamin A you get from eating livestock.

(Raj Seth) #43

Iā€™m 54 so got you beat, but have only lost 85 so far. I am target 0carbs keto, fasting feasting 1:2 ratio, nothing organic ever - because in my OPINION it is a rip-off scaremongering scam - and I have no loose skin, bat wings etc.

I grew up in Delhi, India, so have avoided sun worship all my life, wear long sleeves and pants in summer, so the lack of solar UV damage may also be at playā€¦

If someone tells me that the only way to address loose skin from keto/fasting weight loss is to buy $$$$$/lb organic grass fed cows living at the Hilton with daily spa treatments, then I will just say ā€œOk, when I have loose skin to address I may go thereā€. Till then - KCKO & KCFO

:call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

(Erin Mellas) #44

So glad you were able to recognize and get yourself healthy. Because of my weight gain in puberty (at age 9) due to Hashimotoā€™s (only diagnosed 1 year ago), I would gain weight very easily. My mother doing what she thought was right and putting me on diets from that point on. I was on my first ā€œdietā€ when I was 11 years old. I have had a HORRIBLE relationship with food my entire life. Was diagnosed bulimic at 14 and it all went downhill from there. One of my fears with losing weight has been to go in the opposite direction and be anorexic. I so appreciate your insight (and name! Fellow Erin here)! I have found that as I do IF and EF through my journey this helps significantly with lose skin and wrinkles. Dr Fung brought me to Keto and fasting and I believe there is merit to doing it and understanding that there is not significant studies to back it. My experience has been that it is helping. I also read a book early in my journey called ā€œIntuitive Eatingā€ which really helped me heal my relationship with food (not Keto but I loved the message). Keto on!

(Jeannie Oliver) #45

Hahaha! Iā€™m 68, so got you beat!

Iā€™ve only lost 25 so far, but 15 to go to reach my goal weight. And I gotta say, my skin hasnā€™t looked this good since my 40s. People have commented that my cheekbones and collar bones are more prominent, but fortunately I havenā€™t developed the dreaded ā€œturkey neck.ā€ Iā€™ve also seen the dark ā€œage spotsā€ on my face, arms and legs shrinking and fading.

I practice IF daily, and ā€œmeal-less Mondayā€ almost every week, in the belief that fasting maximizes autophagy. I have tried a 5-day fast once, but I only made it to the afternoon of day four. I will try again eventually.

Until January, I kidded myself that I was better off staying ā€œpleasantly plumpā€ ā€“ I have seem some of my age-peers lose weight and suddenly appear much older with wrinkles and loose skin about the face and jaw line. I decided go keto in order to heal my fatty liver disease once I learned the condition had progressed in spite of my following what I thought was a healthy diet based on ā€œgood carbs.ā€

BTW, I only buy grass-fed beef or grass-fed butter and cream when itā€™s on sale at Sprouts. Yes, I read a review of studies regarding the difference in fatty acid components between grass-fed and grain-finished, and Iā€™m still a bit skeptical that the impact is significant in the grand scheme of things. I just donā€™t think the evidence is convincing.

(Erin Macfarland ) #46

@bulletproof_ketomom, thank you for sharing that story, it parallels mine quite a bit, have you listened to my interview on the Keto Woman Podcast? I discuss some of the issues you mention. Glad youā€™re here!

(Unobtainiumrock) #47

Retin-a, aka Tretinion, is a vitamin a derivative obtained via prescription as a topical cream. Usage of it does indeed increase vulnerability to UV radiation because of how it affects skin cell turnover rates. Iā€™m not talking about the dietary retinol youā€™re referring to.

Yes, but I was describing the usage of skin cells in autophagy, not the usage of autophagy itself. I was even being a bit more targeted in responding to the concepts being discussed in the previous chain of response posts.

(Jay AM) #49

Skin cells, like other cells, are subject to all phases of autophagy, not just for use as protein.

Thatā€™s a really poor example. Having had toddlers, I can tell you this is not a waste of time, but rather necessary if you expect the child to eventually get to the point of understanding the difference. Also, depending on the toddlerā€™s personality type, they may just accept your authority on the matter pretty quickly (conversely, some types will just stubbornly go with what they already think is the case for a while, but even they can be convinced eventually). Dealing with this is part of parenting and beneficial to all involved.

Yes? It was never even suggested that skin cells are only used for protein. In fact, my original statement expressed explicitly other uses for skin cells.

(Melis Jansen ) #52

I am also a year from turning 50 and doing quite well with intermittent fasting and Keto. I look younger than my years and I think that may be partially attributed to intermittent fasting. At the beginning of the year I started doing Keto and also fasting for longer periods of time but the longest has been 44 hours so far.

Iā€™m doing great and absolutely surprised that I am not having a lot of issues with loose skin. It really does seem to be improving further now that I am fasting more. My current fasting schedule is 40 hour fasts three times a week.

Itā€™s really encouraging to hear from others with similar situations who have had good results. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.

(Jay AM) #53

It was an example taken from a joke. I realize many people may not have heard the joke. Obviously there are a million different cases based on the toddler. The overall joke is that toddlers can be difficult and arguing with one is an effort in insanity.

(Carolus Holman) #54

Whew! Thatā€™s quite a thread :grinning:. My take aways so far are. 1. Fasting probably helps with loose skin and overall skin elasticity. 2. Retinol will help with finer lines and Wrinkles. 3. Donā€™t argue with Toddlers.

It hasnā€™t been disproven either (this is a relatively new concept) and yet you state it as if you have the final judgment. Speaking of judgment, ā€œfasting zealots?ā€ Hyper-reactive much? Since fasting is free and relatively safe, with other positive benefits, there is no reason people shouldnā€™t feel free to try it for themselves and see whether it works for them. Or, I guess we can all pan out some dough for expensive moisturizing creams (that are definitely NOT going to eliminate extra skin).

(Erin Mellas) #56

No, but now I will!!!

(Erin Macfarland ) #57

Oh I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!

(Raj Seth) #58

Damn! its an Erin-vasion!

(Erin Mellas) #59

Ha! Yes!!! We are taking over the Keto World, watch out :flushed: :rofl::joy:

(Consensus is Politics) #60

We had a saying in the Air Force, ā€œOnce is an accident, Twice is a coincidence, Three times is a trend/intentional. Except when dealing with ā€œspecialā€ weapons. You never have accidents with those.ā€

What does that have to do with 2 Erins?? I have no idea. Lets wait and see how this plays out :sunglasses: