Keto-People: What type of meal would you request on an airplane: GF or Diabetic?

food
travel

(Becky Searls) #1

Hey all, random travel question here:

I have about 5 trips coming up and 2-3 of them involve meals (which, granted, I may choose to fast during, BUT should I choose to eat…I’m curious which meal ya’ll would say is wiser to request:

• a gluten free meal, described as follows:
    Meals exclude wheat or wheat flour, barley, oats and rye, bread, cakes (unless wheat free), pastry, sausages or any flour based products. (Allergy related)

OR

• a diabetic meal, described as follows:
    Meals suitable or those who need to manage blood sugar levels. Foods excluded are high in sugars for example: syrups, jams, cakes and chocolate, unless specifically designed for diabetics.

I am aware that things can be GF and still high in carbs…however I’m also aware that I DO NOT DO WELL WITH GLUTEN, FULL STOP. So I’m thinking it might be best to order a GF meal and then just avoid anything in it I know to be high carb (white rice, a gf dessert, etc.) - because I assume the opposite is also true, that you could have a low-sugar “diabetic” meal but it might still have gluten in it…and that really wouldn’t sit well with my tummy…thoughts?

(Cindy) #2

On two recent flights, I ordered the gluten free meal and was able to eat chicken breast, salad, broccoli, and part of the fruit bowl. I skipped the rice, roll, and sugary sauce for the chicken, then split the butter between the chicken and broccoli. Overall, a surprisingly good meal on Delta.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t count on being able to eat enough of what is served to be satisfied. I carried along a Keto Bar and bag of almonds just in case.

(Richard Morris) #3

I fasted for 3 days on my last trip … so that was easy :slight_smile:

(Jacquie) #4

I think fasting is the way to go, if feasible. If not, I would take non-perishable food items with me, like macadamia nuts, etc. For me, personally, airplane food isn’t an option but we each choose what works for us. :slight_smile:

You called it in your OP — it’s much easier to make a GF meal LC than it is to make a sugarfree meal GF.

(Mike W.) #6

Macadamia nuts, pork rinds, avocado is what I brought on my last flight.

(Becky Searls) #7

Thanks everyone! I agree that fasting is best, but I do sometimes find the stress of travel makes it tough for me to do so. I also love to bring my own keto friendly snacks but usually travel very light in a 19L backpack so that also limits me a bit. Like to have contingency plans in place to make it easy to make a good decision no matter what I’m up against :slight_smile:

(Siobhan) #8

When I flew to Europe I just ordered a regular meal and didn’t eat what I didn’t want. Then I asked for extra butter and put that in the complimentary coffee (which caught the attention of the German guy sitting next to me… lol)
I skipped the breakfast meal on the return flight because it was all fruit and low fat yogurt and stuff. Just remember if you have a moment you can grab something in the airport beforehand even if its McDonalds (just throw out the bun)

I have Hashimoto’s so I avoid gluten, so when I flew to Europe last summer, I selected a gluten free meal, since
low carb was not an option. I actually only ate the protein (chicken)–but that was fine.

Returning, they didn’t have my ‘special meal’ for some reason, so I accepted the regular one. There was nothing
I would eat on that tray.

But when in ketosis, a few hours with no food isn’t a problem at all.

I agree with this approach if you can manage it. On my last three transatlantic trips I did this. I made sure I had a tub of macadamia nuts for company and might even have eaten a few but certainly didn’t really break the fast. What with reading, music, movies and sleep it worked out pretty well.

(Elle Renegar) #11

I work for an airline. Honestly, I would bring my own food because you know what you’re eating. So many preservatives in airplane food. And most of the time all the meals are starchy or loaded with sugar.

Are you coming directly from home? What about carrying a small shopping bag with nuts etc? This way it will not count as your travel bag and it looks like you made a purchase at the airport

(Rob) #13

My last transcon + transatlantic flights (14 hrs) I got the standard meal without the main course and enjoyed the salad, soft cheese, butter and one of the crackers (4.5g of carb) and then had some almonds and 85% chocolate I brought with me. Tiny meal for a reduced appetite. Once fat adapted, a long flight is just an excuse for an IF session with light snacking opportunities.

(Elle Renegar) #14

The fruit and salads on an airline meal are loaded with preservatives. I would not eat that food if you paid me.

Steak or fish?

(betsy.rome) #16

I once asked for a Kosher meal and got a much better quality meal than everyone around me.

(Becky Searls) #17

Ha! The guy next to me did that!

(Reed) #18

I ordered a diabetic meal on delta going JFK to Berlin and I got a bagel, banana, orange juice.

(Edith) #19

We had gluten free meals on a recent United flight. It was definitely not low carb, but did have some things I could eat. Unfortunately, gluten-free also seems to mean tasteless.

('Jackie P') #20

I asked this question when I went to Australia in January. I ended up taking macadamia nuts, wrapped portions of cheese and pepperoni sausages. I ate what I could of the meals and left what I couldn’t. I was fine!
Oh, and I drank the red wine, I was on holiday after all :blush: