Keto on the camino

Doing the 500 mile Camino Santiago and have heard that most of the dinners served at the hostels at beans/ rice. Anyone have keto suggestions while hiking the Camino?

(Doug) #2

Hi Jacrass - looks like a great hike to me. From the description of the area, I think one can carry a good bit of keto-friendly food, especially since there is relatively little need for heavy pack loads compared to other long hikes.

Despite the title, some good things as well as bad are presented here:

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #3

Sounds like a great trip!

I would focus on getting as much fat as possible as protein and fat will keep you satisfied. Avoid high carb and processed foods at all times. If a meal has bread they may have butter as well so go for the butter. You can also check out some shops along the way and look for sausage that will travel well.

If you can find coconut oil in a small jar that may travel well and you could have a spoonful a couple times a day! Olive oil on a salad or vegetables works well.

Again, get as much fat, with sufficient protein, as you can as this will satisfy you and keep your hunger to a minimum!

Buon Camino!

(Felix) #4

So how did it go on the Camino? I just found this thread, and would love to know.

I did the Camino Portugues this fall, from Porto. Ate a LOT of salads! The standard ‘mixed salad’ comes with egg and tuna most times. And I kept cheese and chorizo in my backpack for the trail. Tapas allowed for some excellent smaller meals, without piles of bread/rice/pasta/potatoes on the side. You?

So funny I succumbed to Camino tostada, cafe con leche beer tortillas and cutlets with fries. Have never eaten so unhealthy in my life . Hopefully back on track! My son is going on to do the Portuguese. I think the food is better closer to the coast and I loved the seafood in galicia was the best part. Didn’t see a vegetable for 6 weeks except in people’s garden. Sounds like you did great!

(Felix) #6

Pilgrim meals aren’t the best food of the area, but the camaraderie is priceless.

Finding anything except tostada for breakfast was tough! I ended up craving vegetables and anything-but-cheese-again for breakfast. But red wine and olives were pretty keto friendly, available at any bar at the end of the day’s walk.

I also discovered the Portuguese custard tart – heaven hot from the oven. Hadn’t eaten sugar in months, but the sugar rush was worth it. Cutting back on carbs means I savour every last bit of the ones I do eat.

I think the absolute best thing I ate, beyond the tarts, was a pan fried cod with honey sauce. Tapas size, so not overwhelming. Perfect. If your son goes, tell him Obispo tapas in Santiago is also a center of pilgrimage…

Buen camino! Bom caminho!