Keto on a budget or just LCHF?

(Rubi Da Silva) #1

Hi All. I’m been doing my own research into Keto and it really appeals to me. The problem is that in my country (South Africa) it’s very difficult to do strict keto. We don’t have meat that is “Grass Finished” etc. Pretty much all our meat is grain fed. Also the measurement devices to test for ketone are expensive and mostly imported from overseas.

My question is, on a budget and unable to aquire grass-fed meat and dairy products would it be better to simply eat LCHF or to do Keto even though all meat and dairy will be grain fed?

I would really appreciate some guidance. P.S I’ve been doing IF and it has made an enormous difference to my life. I know that in fasting you generate ketones. At the moment I am eating my own version of LCHF with 16:8 intermittent fasting. Should I continue or do Keto.

(Ken) #2

Grass fed meat is not required. The 60/35/5% fat-protein-carb macro is. Two thirds meat to one third fat, by weight. Follow it and you’ll be fine.

(Allie) #3

I can’t justify the cost of grass fed so don’t buy it.

(Bacon for the Win) #4

don’t think so. Everyone needs to find what amounts work for them. What works for you may very well not work for me and vice versa.

(Allie) #5

35% protein would be way too much for a lot of people, quite possibly most. Ideally fat should be at least 80% when first starting out but you can get away with less once adapted. There’s no one size fits all.

But no, grass fed / organic / “upgraded” / whatever is not essential so just do what you can to make keto work your way.

(Duncan Kerridge) #6

Keto is just normal food, you don’t need to buy grass fed meats or dairy, you don’t need to buy special coffee, you don’t need to buy mct oil or special supplements. Just eat normal food, except for carbs of course.

You don’t even need to eat meat regularly if it’s too expensive… eggs and hard cheese have plenty of proteins together with some fat and very little carbs.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

The devices are for those that like to geek out on the data/science involved.

You might find this posting most helpful:

(Rob) #9

He is referring to ratio by weight rather than calories which I think creates the discrepancy. With fat twice as calorie dense etc.
if you are not measuring macros via an app etc. I guess by weight is the easiest way to manage?

(Ken) #10

You’re right, since it’s my background, I keep using the bodybuilder/fitness macro, arguably double the protein than for those not in the Lifestyle.

(Bacon for the Win) #11

Unless I’m counting calories, there’s no way of knowing my exact macros. I do about 80g protein, fat to satiety, and 20g of carbs. Some days it’s one meal, other days it’s two. No way I could hit percentage goals without over eating.

(Jane Reed) #12

I never buy grass fed beef nor do I have expensive testing devices. I may never know for sure if I’m in ketosis but I don’t care. There are other ways of telling if this way of eating is successful for me.