Keto- Mojo results- while fasting (my meter is new)

(Niamh) #1

A question for those in the know…
2020 was spent losing just about 50lbs and reaching goal, towards the end post summer I gained 20 pounds! It’s been hard getting back on the bandwagon.

I have treated myself to a Keto-Mojo and am attempting a three day (72 hour fast).
My Keto-Mojo arrived yesterday 12 hours into my fast!!!
I’ve decided to test at noon and midnight daily while fasting.
I work in the hospital and get off routinely at 2300 so a 2400 test seems to work well while fasting.

12 hours into the fast BS 102, Ket .4, GKI 14.1
24 hours into the fast BS 88, Ket .6, GKI 8.1 (seemed good, a trend expected)
36 hours into the fast BS 98, Ket .6, GKI 9.0 (not expected)

My fast is ONLY water, and black coffee
Today I am going to add salt to the water, though I have not done that yet.

I bought this to keep me motivated, but this most recent test worries me. I’m also surprised my BS is this high with nothing but water and black coffee. I did repeat my test for the 36 hours and had a slight BS variation of a few points just to make sure.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
N

(Bob M) #2

At what times were the tests? After you got up?

This is what my blood sugar looks like (assume I slept from 9pm - 5am or so):

And the shape of this curve does not change, regardless of whether I’m fasting or not. Fasting just causes the whole curve to move downward; eating causes it to go upward (relative to when fasting).

For me, ketones are the opposite of this: lowest in the morning and highest at night. So my GKI is highest (worst) in the morning and lowest in the evening.

(Niamh) #3

Thank you Bob, I woke about an hour prior to testing, don’t judge me-lol , I worked night shift last night…:slight_smile: So I tested at 1215PM (right after noon) but woke about 11 or minutes prior.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

So could it be dawn phenomenon then, as adapted to your sleep cycle, I mean?

(Niamh) #5

Thats what I am suspecting. I just checked again, 42 hours into my fast…and liking what I see
glucose 72, ketones 1.0, GKI 4.3
I’m hungry, with five teenagers in the house it’s very hard to fast and not smell and see food everywhere, and its not like they leave, they’re all my teenagers…

(Jane) #6

Did you calibrate your meter to the batch of ketone test strips?

Each set of strips comes with a chip with a number on it matching the bottle. You insert it and it automatically calibrates. I forgot one time after I opened a new bottle and got wonky numbers