Keto Magnesium?

food

(Todd Chester) #1

Hi All,

What is a god source of magnesium for Ketos. I have heard that nuts and seeds are good, but are not really well absorbed. And suppliants make me run down the hall. Any good meat sources? Also we have no source of fresh fish out here and canned fish makes me hurl, literally.

Many thanks,
-T

Side effects from magnesium depends on the type of magnesium and the dose.

Nuts and seeds are fine if you’re able to get high quality… same idea with fresh or frozen fish.

Pastured meat has more magnesium in it because of the chlorophyll in it. Same with pastured eggs that look green.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I’ve never had bowel issues using Magnesium Glycinate. Magnesium Citrate is a laxative as well as some other variations. I’ve heard good things about Magnesium Taurate but haven’t tried it yet. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Green vegetables all contain magnesium, the greener the better. The reason is that every chlorophyll molecule has an atom of magnesium at its centre. If you make your own bone broth, simmer the bones for over twenty-four hours, so that the bone becomes brittle enough to let the magnesium leach out of the marrow.

If you make sure you get enough table salt (10-15 g/day, inclusive of salt already in food), that will help keep your magnesium in balance (along with your potassium and calcium) as well, but if you find you need magnesium supplements, a brand I have heard recommended is Slo-Mag. But better to get your minerals from your food, if you can, because foods generally have them in a more bio-available form, whereas manufactured products often have to settle for what is easy to produce.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Me, too. Right out the doors and off school property. :innocent:

I’ll go out on a limb and assume you were using Citrate? Go with Glycinate or Malate (shouldn’t) be a problem. Citrate absorbs like crap which is why it’s primarily used as a laxative. I use 2 different ones, One is a 3way blend of the three I mentioned, one is Gylcinate by itself. I actually like a little bit if citrate in there to keep me going. If you do a quick search on high magnesium foods you’ll find most of them are out for us, I eat around 50-80g net carbs daily and I can’t even get enough in with diet! A lot of people’s magnesium is fortified in other things (which we also don’t eat). There’s going to be a bunch of things you just gotta supplement. Nothing wrong with it.

Tonno (Italian style tuna) in Olive Oil! Best crap ever! That white meat watered down terrible smelling “normal” tuna makes me sick as well. Downside is it’s expensive, like almost $4/can.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Just me, but I’m leery of anything packed in olive oil. That’s not the extra virgin olive oil you purchase for $10+ per liter in the grocery. It’s the dregs of olive oil production that can’t be sold on the consumer market. It’s even worse than pomace. In my opinion.

(Bob M) #8

Unfortunately, many fish are packed in olive oil. A lot of the ones at Costco, for instance. I usually eat the fish and toss the oil, but who knows (1) whether it’s olive oil or (2) how much oil I’m getting?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Even worse, a lot of tuna is packed in soybean oil. Ugh!

I wash it to get rid of the rubbish oil/
I only eat it recently while I have been unable to shop often.

I’ve noticed recently that even canned fish in water is inflammatory because of the advanced glycation end products. I’ve been eating more fresh/frozen fish and felt no inflammation in my heart. Had a can of skipjack light tuna and felt inflammation(cytokine storm).

https://www.google.com/search?q=advanced+glycation+end+products+cytokine

Bone broth as mentioned. And i live by the sea so I eat sea vegetables (foraged). But you can get dried edible seaweed. It goes great in scrambled eggs or stews. Anything from the sea is usually magnesium rich.

The other way to get magnesium is absorb it through your skin. Treat yourself to a nightly Epsom salts bath before bed, the sleep you get is amazing.

(Jeff Pettett) #13

I’ve struggled with magnesium intake as well. I used to get foot cramps at night and after going keto I started getting calf cramps as well. I could never take enough magnesium pills to put a dent in them without spending lots of time in the bathroom. What has finally help me turn the corner is ReMag, a liquid form of magnesium. I’ve been taking it for about a year-and-a-half, and both my foot cramps and calf cramps have gone away. (I’m also taking about 5 grams of Himalayan salt daily, I take it in a caplet form). ReMag’s not cheap, and you have to work up to a higher dose, but it’s the only thing that’s been able to get rid of my calf and foot cramps. https://www.rnareset.com/collections/frontpage/products/remag-the-magnesium-miracle-16-oz?variant=31855277277297

(Bunny) #14

Some interesting information on Lysine and Arginine:

[1] “…The reactions may proceed within proteins to form high-molecular weight (HMW) AGEs or among small molecules to form low-molecular weight (LMW) AGEs. All free amino acids form AGEs, but lysine or arginine side chains dominate AGE formation within proteins. The analysis of AGEs in foods and body fluids is most often performed by ELISA or LC-MS; however, none of the methodologies cover all HMW and LMW AGEs. Most research is, therefore, carried out using ’representative’ AGE compounds, most often Nε-carboxymethyl-lysine (CML). Only LMW AGEs, including peptide-bound forms, and carbonyls may be absorbed from the gut and contribute to the body burden of AGEs. Some AGEs interact with specific pro- or anti-inflammatory receptors. Most studies on the biological effects of AGEs have been carried out by administering heated foods. The pro-inflammatory and deteriorating biological effects of AGEs in these studies, therefore, need further confirmation. The current review points out several research needs in order to address important questions on AGEs in foods and health. …” …More

[2] What foods are high in lysine and low in arginine

[3] “…Animal-derived foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and are prone to further AGE formation during cooking.[3] However, only low molecular weight AGEs are absorbed through diet, and vegetarians have been found to have higher concentrations of overall AGEs compared to non-vegetarians.[4] Therefore, it is unclear whether dietary AGEs contribute to disease and aging, or whether only endogenous AGEs (those produced in the body) matter.[5] This does not free diet from potentially negatively influencing AGE, but potentially implies that dietary AGE may deserve less attention than other aspects of diet that lead to elevated blood sugar levels and formation of AGEs.[4][5] …” …More

-https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11802-016-2972-2

High temperature cooked meat/fish also has heterocyclic amines and
polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. So the canned tuna most likely has some of these inflammatory compounds. I’m going to stick with fresh/frozen fish.

I don’t doubt vegetarians have higher AGEs levels… most likely due to more refined carbs and less protein.

Polyphenols/carotenoids in whole organic plant foods prevent the formation of AGEs in the body. Makes sense that food like organic raspberries and carrots in moderation are healthful.

(Bob M) #16

I’ve seen that being touted a lot.

I have used Mg oil with some success. I just spray it on my legs at night. The problem is dosage: It’s unclear how much you are actually getting or absorbing.

But it does seem to work.

Then again, I’m not totally sure foot cramps are related (entirely) to Mg. For me, they seem to be related more to what I’m doing. For instance, I got more of them when I was doing HIIT “sprints”. I get them a lot less now that I switched back to riding a bike instead of sprinting.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

I get fish packed in sea brine only now. Salmon, kippers, sardines and more. The oil scares me.

(Bob M) #18

I still get fish packed in oil, mainly because that’s easiest to find and cheapest. I can get some fish packed in brine, such as salmon, but mackerel, sardines, etc., are harder to find that way.

If we could only convince Costco to go to brine…

Though if you like olive oil, Costco has some great California olive oil. I would assume it’s real (and it has a “peppery” taste, which is how I gauge olive oil).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

Curious. I’ve never had difficulty finding water pack fish. In fact, it seems that mostly ethnic groceries have oil pack.

I have the same problem, I only found tuna and other expensive stuff in brine (I don’t even like tuna, I like herring but sprots are nice too). So I can choose between some plant oil (a LOT. rapeseed or sunflower, not olive but I dislike the olive oil taste anyway) or tomato/mustard/curry sauce with some sugar. The latter wins but I rather buy frozen fish. Canned is tastier and convenient but I am used to buying one item ingredients and making my food myself…
I keep searching for some better canned fish in hypermarkets though…
If more fish helps with magnesium, I will be glad as I always had problems with getting enough on keto. I easily solve my cramps with pills but I dislike supplementing anything.