Keto Inquiry - being kicked out and going back into Keto

(Rage992 ) #1

Hello all,

I am new here on the forums but I will be going on 9 months of Keto starting the 17th of this month. Just a normal Less than 20g carb diet. I am going to be travelling next month for a family wedding and going to be there for 5-6 days. During this time its going to be difficult for me to follow keto strictly and may end up having to eat somewhat normal food etc (will be trying my best not to though). My question is with being in keto for so long will it be hard for me to get back into ketogenic mode when/if im kicked out for several days?

Thank you in advance for all comments/help!

[edited to fix format–admin]

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

Why 9 months?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

It depends on how insulin-resistant you are and where in your progress the interruption in the diet occurs. At the beginning, you will delay your adaptation to fatty-acid metabolism, but won’t do that much harm. Later on, you may find it is not a problem, or you may find that it takes quite a few days to return to fatty-acid metabolism. Everyone is different.

You should come back into ketosis in a few days and you keep your fat adaptation, I think this will happen.
If you really go wild, maybe that can be more harmful but it seems you plan to be careful (not like it means much in every case, I so messed up things a few times after nice plans…). That’s good for many reasons, not everyone can handle well a sudden high-carb day especially if it’s “normal”, full with sugar and even the fats aren’t good etc. That can be painful and I don’t think it’s polite to shock our body.
And… Everyone is different, I don’t know how damaged your body was before keto and how is it like now. Surely there are many factors… But going back into ketosis is easy for humans. And we don’t just lose fat adaptation with some off days.

So, going into ketosis is very easy. For the first, second and 256th time as well. Humans are good at that.

(Rage992 ) #5

My biggest goal was weight loss I was not happy with my weight when I started… Was 360lbs at 33. With working from home due to Covid I could actually attempt Keto where as if i was still in a office I would have been pigging out on god knows what. My plan was to do Keto for a year and see how much weight I could loose. I am now down to 257 so 103lbs in about 9 months is not bad.

If you’re trying to stay as low carb as possible don’t worry about. When you eat meals higher in carbs make sure you have the fats lower.

(UsedToBeT2D) #7

Yes, 103 lbs not bad. What are you worried about.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Assuming you eat sufficient carbs for a week to stop ketosis - the quickest and easiest return would be a 3-4 day water fast. If that sounds too radical then just go to sub-20 grams of carbs again and stay there. Takes a little longer but you’ll get back into ketosis again within a few days. Don’t be surprised if you gain weight from your excursion.