Keto induced physiological insulin resistance duration?

(Mick) #1

So after being on keto for about a year and a half I had noticed my elevated morning fasting blood glucose levels and learned that it was most likely something called physiological insulin resistance (or adaptive glucose sparing) which is basically my fat adapted muscles rejecting glucose such that it accumulates in the blood serum rather than being absorbed by the muscles, especially in the morning. Now though I have found that it seems to be at a steady 5.8 to 6.1 millimolars all day.

About 2 months ago I began eating more carbs and gradually transitioned to non keto. It has been totally fine and my energy levels are great. Incidentally I have found that my body still jumps into ketosis very easily. It’s actually hard to stay out of physiological ketosis if I’m trying! Fat adapted indeed.

Here’s my question
I’m curious to know whether anybody might have any links for studies on how long this physiological insulin resistance might last for after leaving ketogenic diet for more carbs. I’m slightly concerned that this high blood glucose circulating can’t be doing too much good.

(Ken) #2

You’re right. This State is a detrimental reaction to long term keto as far as fat loss and negative metabolic effects. It is also an effect frequently denied by those following “Nutty Keto Dogma” who perpetually keep their carb level at the <20g amounts. It’s not disasterous if you don’t mind fat loss stallls and negative metabolic effects, but it is certainly not optimun health. This effect has been known for decades within the Keto Fitness Community and protocols to avoid it are simple. Periodic carb intake in Maintenance amounts or if training a regular carb-up event easily prevent it. I’ve been practicing both for around 20 years now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The key, according to Peter D. from the Hyperlipid blog, is what your HbA1C is doing. If it is remaining low, then you are fine; but if it starts to rise, then you are starting to experience metabolic damage again.

I don’t believe anyone has studied the question you raise. Keto researchers are more interested in seeing the long-term effects of a ketogenic diet, and non-keto researchers are more interested in proving that the keto diet is going to kill us. So studies of people who stopped eating a ketogenic diet aren’t really on the radar at the moment.

Since you are measuring your serum glucose in the morning, I’d be curious to know how you distinguish adaptative glucose-sparing from the dawn phenomenon.

(Mick) #4

Thanks for your perspective Paul. Shane about the research bias. I’d noticed it was a two sided farce much of the time. Frustrating.

I should clarify that when I’m in ketosis it drops back down to something reasonable ish by the time of my first meal at 2:00 or 3:00 in the afternoon.

However when I’m not in ketosis it stays at something around 5.8-6.1 mmol all day. I think I’m going to have to continue measuring and testing to see how much exercise sleep and other factors might be affecting it but it does indeed seem that high blood glucose is persistent unless my ketones are about 1mmol or higher.

edit… and get my hba1c measured!

(Mick) #6

Thanks Ken. I must have overdone the strict keto for a bit too long. Was getting allot of exercise too