Keto in Thailand

keto
newbies
food
travel
help

(Rach) #1

In 6 weeks I will be backpacking around Thailand for 3 weeks.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to stay as keto as I can while I’m there? I know I’m not going to be able to 100% but I’d like some tips on how to minimise falling off the band wagon! It is my 6th time there so I know there is sugar in everything but it will be my first time there as keto so just looking for some help/advice.
Note: I will be travelling around and not staying in the same place for more than a night or 2 so would need restaurant/street food/take out ideas rather than cooking at home. Thanks :blush:

(Meghan O'leary) #2

After 4 months on Keto and losing 25lbs, I went to Thailand for four weeks. I made the conscious choice to just enjoy the amazing food there especially fruit and not do Keto. However, I was worried I was going to undo all my hard work. I treated it as my N=1 experiment, where I just wanted to see how my body reacted to the influx of carbs. I gained 8 pounds. It just renewed my commitment to Keto when I got home. The weight came right back off when I went back to eating LCHF. You could try that, otherwise soups are a low carb choice because they don’t have rice, and stirfried dishes usually have rice on the side, whole fried fish, crispy pork belly (my favorite).

(Rach) #3

Thanks Meghan. Yeah I’m not going to be hard on myself but just wanted to see what options I had with trying to be keto (but if I eat non keto I’m fine with that too). Will ask for no rice and learn how to say “no sugar” lol

(Leslie Gardner) #4

I’m half Thai, but I never really liked rice and noodles. I highly suggest you check out the night markets for the Isaan food stalls. You’ll see them grilling up heaps of chicken quarters and pounding on papaya salad in mortars. Isaan (Northeastern) cuisine has a heavy focus on grilled meats and meat salad (not that nasty, leafy green stuff-MEAT salad). Fatty pieces of grilled pork belly, minced meat salad, grilled chicken–it’s a carnivore’s delight. If you want to get some of the noodle soup they sell on any corner, tell them “Gao Lao” which will be no noodles–just leafy veggies, meat and broth. Once I found a lady selling fried chicken skin. OMG!! She was reluctant to sell it to me because she thought I didn’t know what it was. The turkey tails on a stick are pure, delicious fat.

Having said all of that, if I were going I would take Meghan’s advice. If you are going to get kicked out of ketosis, you might as well go BIG. I would hate to go there and not have tons of Singha beer and other comfort foods. Heck! Everyone else loses their inhibitions while there–why not you? Carbs won’t give you an STD:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Have a great time!

(Leslie Gardner) #5

no sugar: “My sigh 'Nam tam, ka” (don’t use sugar, thanks) OR “My oww 'Nam tam, ka” (I don’t want sugar, thanks.)

ugg. Tried to spell it like it sounds.

(Rach) #6

@Booniepepper Brilliant reply! Thank you so much :blush:

(Alex Robinson) #7

Ahhh i was there for 2 months earlier this year before going on keto i might add…as i was thinking about keto i decided to go off sugar and gluten as well as dairy while i was there in all 3 sectors i managed to go 80% off each item still had the odd pizza…phad thai 3 times a week and a few chicken fried rice, plus a good drinking session once a week.

If your really careful its doable as a poster above gave tips, i lost 3 kilos in the 2 months and most of that was avoiding sugar and gluten, my appetite was low most of the time, i ate one meal a day every second day and 2 the other, about a week before coming home i got a craving for Aunt Annies cinnamon bagels so yeah i paged out on them…

I think if you go with a similar mind set you will be fine, enjoy and be mindful then your body will tell you what it wants.

Recommendations for continuing Keto on Thailand
(Mimi Munro) #8

I go to Thailand a lot…

Go tos for me include larb salad, beef salad, braised pork hock, omelette with minced pork (INCREDIBLE) and I eat my body weight in pork rinds.

I do echo other’s sentiments here tho. Go big. You’ll probably be knocked out of ketosis by all the hidden sugars in the sauces. So go for it and enjoy every minute.

(Sue Cunningham) #9

Hi
As all of you say Thai food is at least 50% of the wonderful experience of Thailand. But saying no to rice and ordering stir fry veg instead is very easy and adds to the variety.
My main tip would be to make your own keto coffee as a great way to add healthy fat

I quite easily used our portable liquidisers (about £15 from Amazon) to make 2 coffees every day. Australian butter is widely available in small portions from 7-11 and we just gave them what they asked for for hot water. Coconut oil is also easily bought and we took powdered MCT oil & stevia drops. Lovely home from home treats and great appetite suppressant!

(David Cooke) #10

I missed this thread…
even roadside street food will likely as not be sugared. including chicken. Same as elsewhere, you have to buy whole foods and cook it yourself, which is what I do, otherwise I’ll do a fast when travelling not too far, longer than a day or two and I give up counting and try to eat just chicken and veggies. There’s always Nori seaweed of course (yuck).