Keto high where are you?

(Mtl) #1

11 weeks and i read on diff post and forum about the keto high… 11 weeks in, 20 lbs lost, another 20lbs to go but still no sign of the keto high energy i hear about… ideas why i do not have this high? Huge business trip ahead: 70hrs of flying in 12 days i need that high!!!

(Amy Ramadan) #2

If you find it let me know!!! I have not experienced this either, but would love a burst of energy!! I guess right now I just have to rely on caffeine for a boost lol! Following this post to see what others have to say!!

(Allie) #3

Not everyone gets it. I never have.

(Amy Ramadan) #4

Yea, I kinda figured as much!! Would have been nice though!!

(Allie) #5

I did hear on a podcast a few days ago that the lack of the keto high feeling, in women especially, could be due to them having insufficient levels of DHEA pre-keto. It stuck in my head a bit so I’ve been researching DHEA a bit since.

It might have been this podcast but I can’t say for sure as I’m constantly listening to one or another…

(Mtl) #6

Tks Allie will definitely listen to the podcast as soon as i am out of this meeting;). Tks.

(Amy Ramadan) #7

That actually makes a lot of sense!! Will definitely check it out!! Thanks!!

(less is more, more or less) #8

Agreed.

My uptick was more general than euphoric. I experiencing something like this when I fast but fasting brings a whole lot to the experiential dance. And when the novelty of the better feeling you have wears off, for me, after a couple of months, I counsel myself with how lousy I used to feel, especially after lunch.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

I have noticed an Energizer Bunny type energy level during a ketone spike (that’s when my house is the cleanest). But other than that no difference. I was hyper before keto, and still hyper!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You could try supplementing with exogenous ketones and MCT oil if you have the money to spend. If you don’t have the money, try to get more butter, bacon grease, lard, tallow, etc., into your diet. The brain, especially, loves β-hydroxybutyrate, and monunsaturated fats (including MCT’s) are metabolized for energy.

(Mtl) #11

Thank you Paul this is very useful. I have been thinking of ordering ketogenous supplement… your comment really confirms i should. Is MCT oil a must? I use avocado and olive oil on everything. Is MCT oil different from these other oils?

(Bob M) #12

MCTs are medium chain triglycerides,which supposedly are used for fuel. There’s a lot more here:

I have used exogenous ketones. They did provide a high (sometimes) but also made me jittery I do not think they are worth the money, and in fact threw away my bottle.

As for MCT oil, I have to have the powdered stuff. The liquid and I don’t get along. I’ve currently been using a small scoop of powdered MCT “oil” in my coffee. It’s about 80 extra calories, which is really nothing. I will likely not use it once I finish the bottle.

For both the powdered MCT and the exogenous ketones, I could not find any improvement in blood ketones, either. I also don’t notice a “high” even with very high (for me) ketones, but I only get those when I fast multiple days, and my blood sugar goes down at the same time.

As for energy, I have a constant energy all day long with no mood swings (except sometimes after a workout – not sure why that is) I’ve been doing a home improvement project, and can keep going and going and going…my body runs out before my energy does.

How bad of the keto flu did you get? I’ve found those of us who hit rock bottom, go through hell for a day or two typically have that feeling once the fat switch happens, many who do it gracefully don’t. The only time I get that feeling nowadays is extended fasting and exodenous ketones.

(Bob M) #14

By the way, one thing to consider while traveling is fasting. I usually fast now until I reach my destination. I find this helps and you don’t have to be concerned about eating bad food.

(Karen) #15

Never had the high, but it might depend on how deranged or metabolically flexible you are.

K

(Running from stupidity) #16

I’ve never had it, but then, I never get much of anything, as I’m stupidly drug-resistant, and that carries over to pretty much everything.

OTOH, I have had better mental clarity (at times), less ADHD issues (mostly), and a loss of 15kg. So it’s not an issue.

(Mtl) #17

I am not sure i did have the keto flue… i was sick last week the symptoms seemed to be but i live in Montreal Canada so flue season started it could also just have been a regular flue…

(Mtl) #18

Tks i do IF 18/6 but i might try to eat once a day … jumping the breakfast is easy, lunch might be ok althought i will be with customer most days who will want to take me out … travelling to Asia and the Middle East i will want to have dinner and enjoy the amazing food;) will try to still fo keto… if i aboid the rice and the naam and pita bread i think i’ll be fine…

(Mtl) #19

Inlove this forum! Than you all gor your comments now i feel i am not alone;!

I think, for me, when I describe having more energy on keto, it’s the “lack of a low” rather than a “presence of a high” that defines it. In other words, my 100% on SAD and my 100% on Keto are pretty much the same (maybe more mentally clear), but I stay in that upper 75%-100% energy on Keto much, much more than I did on SAD which had a much wider range of energy (super high for a brief time after having a bunch of sugar, and then “i need a nap” low after having a ton of pasta).