Keto, Ginger Supplementation, and Special Farts: Lypolysis Carbon Dioxide?

ginger
lypolysis
gas

As some of ya’ll know, I’ve been self-experimenting with Ginger Root for some months now for maximization of midlife body recomposition. (Dried Ginger Root, though hotter and somewhat more stimulating than the fresh root, is overall classified as gentle - including for both children and the elderly). Ginger is technically a superfood - it has enzymatic actions, is massively anti-inflammatory, reduces cortisol, prevents insulin spikes, and has a positive effect on stubborn belly fat long term among other things. It’s also a carminative/gas-moving herb (the focus of this post, lol).

ginger%20botanical

In eastern medicine, the topic of one’s bowels’ behavior is a significant part of discussion w/ one’s healthcare provider, as it conveys so much about core absorption, immunity, vitality, etc. In a typical appointment with a chinese medicine doctor or ayurvedic physician, you might spend 5 minutes chatting about very specific qualities of your bowel movements in fact! And in western functional medicine, it’s also focused on, but usually not in typical non-functional medicine.

ANYHOOooo… As many of us know, keto is known for greatly reducing and/or eliminating the methane gas farting of excess gut fermentation due to reduction of sugars/carbs, etc. But there ARE other kinds of “gas” that are mostly carbon dioxide - and not congestive, painful, or stinky like Stilton cheese or a swamp giant…

limbhero-400x400

swamp_giant_by_vaghauk

Once I upped my dosage to 4 caps a day (2.2 grams of Ginger, which is only a moderate, not high, dosage used in a few published studies - and some larger bodied folks can go up to 6 caps a day, 3.3 gms without excess) - and in keeping my usual ketogenic eating fare - I noticed I’ve been having one or two non-methane/not-smelly type, silent, large “exhalation” or wind gust per day - usually in the morning.

In other words, efficacious intestinal gas, which can apparently be a form of carbon dioxide release from the gut.

As students of lipolysis know, through complex and amazing processes, what the body does is transforms lipids into carbon dioxide - which is mostly focused on in terms of upper respiratory exhalations…Research suggests that fat cells — particularly abdominal fat cells — are biologically active. A Harvard Medical School article I recently read about visceral fat explained it this way: "It’s appropriate to think of fat as an endocrine organ or gland, producing hormones and other substances that can profoundly affect our health."

My hunch is that Ginger is expediting some great healing processes in and around my 30 feet of intestines, and that the downward carbon dioxide is another sign of expedited fat burning - whether generalized intestinal visceral fat or having to do with subcutaneous belly fat I do not know exactly. My measurements have scarcely changed, but I “viscerally” feel more compact - as if non-obvious bloating I didn’t even know I had has gone and greater digestive functioning is happening.

At 9 months in to keto - though I was prepared to accept slower digestion that many keto-ers report, with Ginger’s help I’ve returned to my previous regular twice a day BMs - which is considered very healthy in eastern medicine (though early in keto I had a range of strange digestion including constipation and turtles). The difference is that with regular Ginger the bowel movements are very efficacious/quick - no waiting for Godot, etc (for those who may not know, “Waiting for Godot” is a play by the Irish Samuel Beckett, in which two characters wait for the arrival of someone named Godot… who never arrives!). Ginger is reknown for increasing digestive strength and circulation, etc.

But it was only yesterday that I realized that the intestinal carbon dioxide could be another sign of fat burning… hmmm. :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:

(Bunny) #2

Mmm I love Limburger & grind raw ginger with cheese grader into my ACV & Lemon Juice I drink everyday!

@atomicspacebunny that ACV drink sounds outta this world! Will take note of your recipe there. :wink:

Well, neither of those linked articles tackles the subject of potentially high amounts of carbon dioxide facilitated for downward clearing by Ginger. :sparkles: The current view is that carbon dioxide in farts is anywhere from 10-30%. I’d postulate that Ginger Farts may be a higher concentration of Carbon Dioxide - and that the fat recomposition process in the lower gut/belly involves “special farts”…

I’m fine with this being an ‘unanswered question’ in modern industrial science - much better than rounding up mice to torture/kill in order to get a new answer. I love how my belly feels with this Ginger-as-Medicine, and will continue on with self-experimentation :blush:

(Tovan Nhsh) #4

I have nothing to add to the topic but I had to say: Best Post Title Ever.

:rofl: thank you

(Bunny) #6

I was reading about this a long time ago and in the research they said hydrogen only farts are rare! Interesting? Lol

I did some research on high Oxalate levels for no particular reason other than it caught my interest. Link Between Almond Flour and High Oxalate Levels

According to this website you may want to substitute fresh ginger for powdered if you are having large quantities

Hmmm - Am not worried about. Oxalate is a naturally occurring molecule found in abundance in plants and humans on this earth. I trust a well-formulated moderate complete protein context, and thousands of years of dry Ginger medicine in ayurveda and other traditional medicines, along with a number of compelling western evidence-based studies on safety gingerols and zerumbone.

Re oxalate sensitivities and such, some people (about one in 3 million) have genetic disorders that cause too much oxalate to be produced within the body, and other people have absorption disorders that cause too much oxalate to get absorbed from the gut (including Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, chronic pancreatitis, and side-effects from bariatric surgery).

Dehydration is a major cause of high urinary oxalate and kidney stone development. Also, mineral balance (magnesium esp, in its relationship w/ calcium and Vit D etc).

The impact of dietary oxalate on urinary oxalate appears to be small, according to this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518810/

(Candy Lind) #9

Just tuned in to this topic and I have a question for you. Have you had any issues with heartburn while taking ginger? If I don’t literally BURY it with a good size meal, I get significant heartburn. I’d really like to be more constant about taking it, but if I forget to take it before I eat, I skip it because of this. :confused:

Yikes, heartburn is no fun!

When starting to take Ginger, take it w/ a meal, just one capsule per meal - then go from there. Take with a couple swigs of water, but follow it with mouthfuls of food, so as to help it travel down.

In order for the enzymatic balance to shift in the stomach and gut, you’ll need to get consistent on it, and the easiest way I know is to connect it with certain behaviors like meals! Over a few weeks of consistent supplementation the digestive enzymes can change in wonderful ways.

I take a capsule with my morning fatty coffee with no probs.

Also, if you don’t eat much dairy you may be more sensitive due to less congestion/phlegm etc. And if you take it away from meals, be sure to wash it down with plenty of liquid. Sometimes I take it w/ an 8oz mug of water and it’s still not enough, I have to go get more water in order for the capsule to keep moving down well.

I also take it as a replacement for aspirin/pain relief - two capsules does the job great, in about 30 minutes. I just had a neckache from sitting poorly during an extended desk work shift - and it was as good as aspirin. But you might want to wait till your gut stabilizes before using it that way. :herb:

(Candy Lind) #11

I guess I just need to keep a little pill fob full of ginger with me & 1) take less at first; & 2) work harder at remembering to take it. Thanks for the feedback!

You’re very welcome Candy! You know what to do :sunflower: