Keto for healthy people? Missed period?

(Carrie ) #1

So I am 25 days on Keto. I have been in ketosis since day 2. I am just wondering how many people are following a ketogenic diet who don’t have underlying health problems such as type 2 diabetes, other illnesses or even obesity that a keto lifestyle will help resolve? I feel like everything I read about or research refers to people who are doing keto for a disease or obesity. I have 20 pounds to lose and otherwise I’m a healthy middle aged woman. I just don’t want to do anything to hurt my body while trying to improve my body. I have read and researched keto but still have a few questionable thoughts. I haven’t lost any weight since the second week and actually gained a pound this week. Is keto for healthy people? I really want to stay on keto but I want it to be healthy. I don’t understand having to wake up to a parched mouth every morning no matter how much I drink! And sometimes getting a headache and nausea and having to eat salt crystals to make it stop. I don’t know what supplements to take and even if I did how much to take. Sometimes it feels like my heart is beating faster or harder. Don’t understand that either! Also, my period is late and honestly doesn’t feel like it’s coming anytime soon. Is that normal? I’m usually a few days early or on time but never late. I’m not pregnant as I have my tubes tied and my husband is fixed! Thanks in advance for any insight to all of this!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Welcome, Carrie!

There are lots of people who are here only for weight loss, but I’m not one of them. As far as waking up parched, I don’t have an answer for that (or ideas as to why). I tend to get dry/thirsty at night, so I keep a water bottle by my bed. And yes, keto is also for healthy people, or people who just want to lose some weight. However, people tend to gain the weight back IF they go back to eating carbs once they achieve their desired weight!

As far as supplements, you generally don’t need any - but if you are getting a headache and nausea and salt helps, then maybe you are simply low on sodium.

If you post your questions, we will try to help you find the answers you are looking for. If you spend some time in the “Health” category you’ll find stories about women whose periods have done “wonky” things as they’ve adjusted to a keto lifestyle (you are not alone). :slight_smile:

Also, if you post what you normally eat we can also help you figure things out related to that, if you ever need it. :slight_smile:

(Katie) #3

I am seemingly healthy and have been doing keto, not for weight loss. Fluctuating menstrual cycles happens a lot for women at first because keto affects the hormones (for both men and women). A new norm might be established for you.

A lot of the issues that you are having sound like electrolyte imbalances. The supplements that I take are sodium (liberally salting my food and water), magnesium glycinate, and potassium (a pinch of Nu Salt every day). Have you explored the Newbies section of the forum? That could be a good resource for you to learn about keto.

What do you typically eat on a daily basis? Perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

A lot us are here not for any particular health or weight problem, but to attain the health benefits that come with ketosis. For example, I came to keto because I want to be as healthy as I can be in whatever time I have left to live. I’m 74, started keto at the age of 71 and have been in maintenance for 2 1/2 years. I live a relatively active life and have a full-time job that requires lots of physical activity. I have been healthy all my life and somehow avoided the worst consequences of eating SAD all those years. But I also think that the luck of the genetic draw starts to run out with age.