Keto for Autism Spectrum Disorder, trait expression and experience

I’m self-diagnosed high functioning ASD and alexithymic. The markers are also in my DNA.

I really like this high level article that references some smaller studies that provide some evidence of improved quality of life based upon a Keto diet. ASD is a neurological condition and does not go away, but what can change are the intensity/volume of trait expression and experience based upon environmental factors such as diet.

For myself, Keto and a 21 day fast have:

• reduced/eliminated anxiety
  • reduced/eliminated/allowed control over repetitive and circular thought
  • reduced/eliminated negative thoughts
  • reduced the need to burn off energy through stimming
  • improved focus and attention
  • improved clarity of thought
  • improved and more balanced mood
  • improved and opened the experience of emotions

(Liz ) #2

Fantastic results! I am on the spectrum as well & have noticed far fewer meltdowns since going Keto. I had hoped for more relief of anxiety but I’ll take what I can get & maybe there’s still more improvement possible down the road? It’s only been a year.

The 21 day fast was a true reset and balancing of my brain chemistry, time will tell when/if I need to do the fast again.

(Liz ) #4

That is so interesting!! I’ve never gone past 72 hours. Was it a water fast the whole 21 days?

Coffee with butter, water and salt, a few avocados to help cleanse the plumbing. The first four days were easy due to Keto lifestyle, day 5 through 21 was a walk in the park. I started to recognize improvements in my mental health after the 14 day milestone.

(Liz ) #6

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! When you started eating again did you lose any of your mental health gains?

Excellent question:

• No, my Fast was basically Thanksgiving through Christmas and we are now in middle February. I have the same mental clarity today as I did at the end of my fasting.

So to me the 21day fast was a reset and new baseline of the expression of my traits, and it was totally worth the adventure!

Now with the new baseline of me and my traits, I will continue to monitor and bring out the 21day fast tool if and when my mental health steps off of my new baseline.

As I now take the online test for ASD, I can’t score high enough to be at risk or a member of the tribe. My traits now are purely social as my coping skills have a much easier time of filling in towards being more normal, because the gaps are smaller and manageable.

My hope is that the reset is sustainable for a good period of time, honestly I see enough benefit that I would bring out a 21day fast at anytime to keep this new baseline.

I hope this helps… i’m A new and different person.

(Rob) #8

6 months ago I would have put this down to a placebo effect or becoming slightly demented from lack of food!! :grin: but now I believe it without question.

It’s an inspiring story and it will be interesting to see your progress over time.

(Liz ) #9

It’s remarkable! And fascinating. It’s fantastic you got such great results. I’m so curious now to find out what kind of benefit I might obtain from an extra extended fast.

I have been slowly improving my emotional intelligence over my adulthood, recognizing my deficits & striving to fill the gaps. Socially I appear neurotypical but my processing definitely falls on the Aspergers spectrum. I have a lot less difficulty now than I did as an undiagnosed child, but it would be exciting to further reduce the associated anxiety & triggers. Thanks again & continued good results to you!

Update:

• all good, my new baseline is fantastic