Keto for 2 years- but seeing some weight gain

(David ) #1

I had lost 150 pounds in a two year period. Recently I crept back 10 pounds. I stay strict keto and monitor my macros. I only eat one meal a day in the evening. The only change was three months ago I went to a desk job, Anyone else goes through anything similar?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I went the opposite direction. Got a job that requires walking and standing on shift. Started to lose weight and had to increase total calories per day by a couple hundred to stop the loss. So just adjust your intake down to match your new output. Probably won’t take much.

PS: LOL I mistakenly said that I got a job that requires ‘waking’… To be honest, I’ve never had a job at any time in my life that didn’t require that. I meant ‘walking’ and changed it above. Typos, sheesh!

This might help explain it https://thesportsedit.com/blogs/news/the-underestimated-benefits-of-non-exercise-activity-thermogenesis-neat

It may also be that you’ve adapted to one meal a day - you could try eating two meals a day & increasing your NEAT.

(Bunny) #4

I have seen people state this many times and curious about it, could be muscle gain, I have found my own weight fluctuating like that between a 10 pound variability and didn’t look any fatter visually or in body composition with a tape measure?

Could be water weight and salt intake or the scale is off a smidgen?

I think it is the scale, I have a mechanical physicians scale and it will be off sometimes depending on the weather and room temperature between 10 pounds in increments or so, I know that sounds strange even if it is correctly calibrated. I found myself trying to correct the calibration on it to zero it out at times!

Digital scales or analog bathroom scales forget trying to get a correct measure on weight they are useless!

(David ) #5

Thanks

(Bunny) #6

From my past experience with messing around with scales it seems the they can give you an idea between the 15-20-25 and 30 pound ranges?

(David ) #7

Good Advice- NEAT it is:)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

I’d like to add. In my understanding, during keto ‘maintainance’ one’s metabolism establishes a homeostasis of energy input, energy processing/storage and energy output. If you change one of these, the other two adjust to reestablish the homeostasis. In my particular case, I increased energy output. Energy input remained constant, so energy processing reduced storage. Ergo, I lost weight until I increased input to reestablish homeostasis at 150 pounds. In the case of @Strongman he reduced energy output. Energy input remained constant, so energy processing increased storage. Ergo, he gained weight. He will continue to do so until he reduces input to maintain his weight at whatever he wants.

The ‘processing’, of course, includes hormones and enzymes in both complementary and antagonistic actions upon the various macros. Increasing carb energy intake, for example, generally results in increased energy storage. The fatal error of simple ‘energy in/energy out’ (ie CICO) is ignoring the different pathways energy processing the different macros undergo. None-the-less, we are still talking about energy in, energy processing, energy storage and energy out.