Keto for 2 months cholesterol horrible!

(Donna K) #1

I am completely at odds. I started this this end of December. I have been extremely strick with myself. My diet is eggs, meats, ( including bacon) , salads with high fat dressing, vegetables including asparagus, broccoli, some ( limited green beans- I just had blood work and both cholesterol types were high. This the fact that if I don’t get them in check they suggest meds. My weight loss has also stalled. I am only consuming maybe 15-20 carbs. Help me!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Can you post some stats for your cholesterol? Some doctors idea of bad cholesterol is erroneous still, they’re still living in denial about keto and the nature of fats. Mostly info on bad cholesterol is based on a diet that includes processed carbohydrates and sugars.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Also almost two months into keto is too early to think you’re having a stall. You’re probably just getting to fat adaptation and your weight loss so far has been mostly water.

(Donna K) #4

They only called me- when I get the report I will surely share. I really wonder if I am doing something wrong. I have difficulty finding foods that are high fat but moderate protein

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Don’t worry about low protein. Think of things like this, Carbs are a limit, protein is a goal and fat is the caloric fuel filler you need for energy to replace your lack of carbs. At this point you should be focusing on keeping carbs minimal and not worrying too much about fat and protein. Just be liberal with fats when cooking, add butter to steamed vegetables and eat till you’re satisfied but not stuffing yourself.

As far as cholesterol high LDL is not a major concern so much as the ratio of LDL to HDL and a low healthy triglyceride number. My LDL went from what was considered “healthy” to borderline high but my HDL skyrocketed from below healthy to above the minimum healthy range. This was reflected as a healthy ratio instead of being out of balance like I was with the lower LDL number. My triglycerides greatly improved as well coming way down in a couple of months. Don’t let your health care people fool you into the old low fat myth, you will likely see improvement on your next test. They should be giving you a triglyceride level test as well as an HbA1c (three month BG average). My doctor loves my new stats and is keto supportive. You need to ask your doctor what they think about keto and make your own judgment based on that. Because most doctors still believe in the false science.

Offhand the only low protein high fat food that comes to mind as keto friendly is avocados unless you can consume coconut oil or MCT oil or HWC directly.

You probably need more than 2 months, my figures were out of whack but I’m going to test after 6 or 12 months.

You need to be 100% sure you don’t have any hidden carbs which are knocking you out of ketosis. Hidden carbs is the most common reason but we often overlook it and think, “oh no, I’m absolutely sure it isn’t happening to me”. I was saying that but I found some extra carbs hiding away… I measure ketones with a blood analyizer it was a very rude shock to see zero.

Meantime watch some David Diamond videos, he’s a brain doctor who had terrible cholesterol stats so spent 10 years going through all the papers on that.

If you are taking any medication for any reason be away they can stall weight loss.

Also with women, insulin is not the only hormone going around, weight loss can be slow.

Otherwise, yeah, I had my doctor chasing me and sending letters about “urgent results”. I am not at all worried, I will retest later … meantime I am making sure I stay below 20g that is crucial

(Carl Keller) #7

I agree with David. Heart disease is caused by inflammation, not cholesterol. Cholesterol is blamed for heart disease because it’s ofen found where problems develop in our arteries. Blaming cholesterol is like blaming firemen for causing fires. Cholesterol doesn’t cause the problem. It’s trying to repair it.

To improve your cholesterol test results, it’s recommended to fast for up to 12 hours since foods can affect your LDL and triglycerides.

https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

(Donna K) #8

I ate a full avacado for lunch. Looked up carbs and about cried! Now I cannot eat a dang carb for the rest of the day.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

Yes, but subtract out the fiber!
Avacado is very keto friendly!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

@dkteacher

So there you have it, now dry those tears and enjoy a normal keto dinner later on! :man_cook:t3: