KETO Flu

(Texan ) #1

Does anyone know up to how late The KETO Flu can hit?
Today I had just begun a 5 hour road trip (I was the driver) when about an hour into it I just began to get so sleepy that I couldn’t keep my eyes open and I was dozing off. This went on for about an hour and a half. I also started to shake right before I pulled over. This is day 15 for me and I was wondering if the Flu can hit you this late.
I ended up pulling over and getting a cup of coffee. That helped me finish the rest of my trip, but I swear I don’t know how I made it as far as I did.
Anyone experienced this?

The shaking sounds like a low blood sugar indication, and the (inappropriate?) sleepiness is a low energy condition. I suspect you didn’t eat enough before the trip. At 2 weeks, your body is still adjusting to being able to access bodyfat as its primary fuel, and you may need to eat more fat when these symptoms occur.

Do you have a glucose meter to test with? If so, how low does it get? And are you on any medications?

(Zbigniew Kosior) #3

Why don’t we stick to calling it what it is: “Carb Withdrawal”.

At this point, it helps others search the forum for the term they’re familiar with. But yeah, don’t go blaming the keto for what the carbs did. :wink:

(Texan ) #5

I’m not on any Medication and I did purchase a glucometer, but I didn’t take it with me. It was a one day trip (10 hours round trip) so I didn’t pack anything. My blood sugar has never been too low. 95 is the lowest I’ve seen it. I will check it in a few minutes and see what it is.
I do appreciate your input Carol.

P. S.
I didn’t invent the term “KETO Flu”, in fact up until 16 days ago I had never even heard of it. I learned it from, well the Podcast.

(Kerri Hines) #6

Low sodium and other electrolytes can happen anytime while keto. From the first couple days to years later.