Keto Emergency Preparadness Food

food

(Lisandra Mathews) #1

In an effort to be more prepared this winter- we lose power every winter here in the NW- I want to stock the pantry up with keto friendly food. Sardines and jerky are on the list but are there any other canned items recommendations? Other than coconut milk and tomato sauce I don’t usually use canned food. We have a propane stovetop so I’ll be able to cook.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Canned salmon should be good, and perhaps other fish as well. It is also possible to find canned meat, but I’d suggest reading the labels carefully.

I could survive for at least 6 weeks on my canned olive stash. I could see pork rinds and nuts being handy to have around during a power outage also.

(melinda) #4

Any canned meat - chicken, beef, seafood, etc. Just check the label for questionable things. There’s also shelf-stable pepperoni, sausage, cheese, etc that you can keep for while. If you’re up north and your power goes out due to a snow storm, just stick your stuff outside to keep it cold! I used to shove stuff in the garage during the winter in Pennsylvania. Worked out great :smiley:

(Ren) #5

Canned fish - Sardines, Tuna, Salmon
Canned meats - corned beef, spam, vienna sausages
Nuts - almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans
Seeds - chia, flax, hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds
Canned veggies - green beans, asparagus, spinach, olives, pickles
Dry goods - jerky, pork rinds, leather britches (dried green beans), pepperoni, hard cheeses,

(Lauren) #6

Full fat coconut milk is a good choice. I’d also suggest macadamia nuts and ghee.

We had an ice storm and lost power for a week. We kept food on the carport in a cooler. I was much younger then so I had no issues grilling in the snow!

(Jo O) #7

Ghee is shelf stable.
Electrolytes
Water filter
Paper-disposable plates/etc. you don’t want to wash dishes if no running water.
I wouldn’t count on pork rind as shelf stable for more than 5-7 days.

(Brian) #8

This really is a good question. A lot of the foods that were previously thought of as good foods to store were things like: rice, beans, wheat, sugar, stuff like that.

(Lisandra Mathews) #9

Shelf stable pepperoni. Hadn’t thought of that. Good one.

(Lisandra Mathews) #10

We filled a huge container with snow and kept our refrigerated food outside. Luckily it didn’t attract the critters.

(Lisandra Mathews) #11

Good call on the paper supplies. I’ll add that to my list.

(Lisandra Mathews) #12

I could too but the rest of the kids not so much.

(Jo O) #13

Here’s a none Keto list of prepping for a disaster.

(Dave) #14

Nut Butters, Pork Crackle, Oils (Macadamia, Olive, Coconut, MCT Oil)

(Lisandra Mathews) #15

Thanks Jo. I found some great nuggets of info that I hadn’t heard before- accessing water from hot water heater is genius. Making extra hot water and adding it to a thermos was also clever.

(Mike W.) #17

That’s a link to a dental flosser.