Keto diet for physically challanged

conversationstarters

(Jeri Mac) #1

Hi. I just started the Keto diet. Due to my handicap, it is really difficult to exercise. I’m on the diet to improve my health. And it definitely wouldn’t hurt to lose a bunch of pounds. My question is, what can I do to exercise without too much standing, walking, or running. Please help. Jeri McGarvey

(Michelle) #2

(Allie) #3

Fat loss is 95% diet.

Hi Jeri,
Especially if you’re just starting out, I don’t think you need to worry about exercise at all right now. There are a whole host of benefits (including the weight loss) that keto will do for most people with or without exercise. And one of the best things is that with some weight loss and increased energy on keto, over time even non-exercisers want to start incorporating more activity into their lifestyles. But keto is a good first step regardless. I don’t have any good information what exercises you should do once you feel like adding it in (though cycling, or recumbent cycling come to mind), maybe others have more insight on that. Best of luck to you!

(cheryl) #5

Jeri if you have access to water some type of water exercise might be an option.

I can’t stand on my own for more than a minute or so. I can only walk a few staggering steps without a walker. Even with a walker, I can’t go far. Running is out. I am able to do my own transfers to and from my wheelchair, using my walker.

Keto has been working great for me. I’ve lost 180 pounds so far. And no longer need insulin or metformin for my T2 diabetes.

My exercise, for now, is seated exercises, hand weights, and a step platform. Soon, the swimming pool (I have to be able to climb the steps out).

Exercise is good for overall health. But for weight loss, it’s not nearly as effective as what eating differently can do.

Just do what you can, there’s very little difference in weight loss for most people when eating this way vs those working out. Exercising is great, but definitely not required for the weight loss by itself.

(Jeri Mac) #8

I received a small bicycle that you can put on the table to exercise your arms and on the floor to exercise your legs. I didn’t even think to use that. Thank you so much for your response. I am truly greatful

If you are interested in doing a little exercise, buy a couple of light (2lb to start) dumbells. That’s all you need to do a simple chest and shoulder workout. Get a resistance band and wrap it around something you can do rows to add a back exercise in. Arms too.

Really you just covered 80% of your body and you can do it all from a seated position.