Keto concerns again

(Christopher Kornelsen) #1

So I’m back with some concerns. Been keto 3 months now. I figured my digestive problems had gone but this Sunday after 4 days of not going I had thr worst IBS attack I’ve ever had. I was 222 before and 215 after the hours of excruciating pain and sickness. I think this woe is not helping my digestion at all. I’ve been doing research and many sources say meat and fat are far harder to digest then anything else. Any sources that dis prove this? To me this as jt was in my first month…is a deal breaker. I’d gladly live 5 years less and not have intense excuritsting gut pain for the 50 I’m left alive. I eat mostly whole foods and I’ve done both extremely low fiber and high fiber. I’m feeling quick stuck.

Second one is where is this energy I keep hearing f about? 3 months in ans I still get hungry throughout the day. I still get tired ans lethargic at the same times and same extent. I dont feel this insane Energy so…when does that come cuz I’m really getting tired of being tired

(Joey) #2

@LogocentricKorn

Christopher - I’m really sorry to hear how you’ve been struggling with digestive issues. I had some suggestions come to mind, but in reviewing a post you made back in June, I see you received a lot of really good advice on how to proceed. I would encourage you to revisit your prior thread.

It would be a shame to give up without giving everything you can a chance to work for you. In particular, it’s not clear why you need so many fiber/veggies since you said your bloodwork (nutritionally) looked okay. Sounds like you may be overdoing it - and in the process - introducing more carbs than is helpful to adapting to a full ketogenic state.

Please keep us posted on developments. Wishing you the best.

(traci simpson) #3

I’m curious as to why you’re added extra fiber. The energy will come if you are eating enough of the right foods. Your body has to adjust, but it will happen and you will have your energy. Are you drinking water? getting enough fat?

I’d agree with this.

Two things come to mind at this point:

1. Try upping your magnesium intake to get things moving before letting things compound for four days to prevent a recurrence of an attack so severe.
  2. It is possible that you have an allergy or intolerance to some kind of meat. This does happen to people. Could be beef, could be chicken, who knows. I’ve also heard of people who have trouble with common grain-finished beef, but not grass-finished. An elimination diet might help you get to the bottom of what’s troubling your gut.

I’d also point out that you have been keto 3 months and only now are having an IBS attack. So maybe that’s a reasonable track record and a significant improvement. How often were you having them before?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Many people here with IBS find that they are far better off without any fibre at all in their diet. You might give that a try.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #6

I have done all those tips. Cut out dairy. Lower fiber. Etc. That’s why in posting again cuz it doesnt seem to be helping. So far I’ve been very very very low veggies and no fruit

(Christopher Kornelsen) #7

Before keto I got my attacks to once or twice a year. And not very harsh.

Magnesium I take 1 250mg pull in morning and 300mg citrate powder at night. Do I need even more than that? That seems like alot and I a firm believer any diet that forces you to take man made powders isnt good

(Christopher Kornelsen) #8

I havent gone full mo fiber but I have drastically reduced it

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

You might want to see if going zero-carb/carnivore helps. You may have a sensitivity to phytates and/or oxalates that used to be masked, before you started eating ketogenically. Many people, once the louder noise of problems from too much carbohydrate has died down, find that they have gluten or dairy intolerances that they weren’t previously aware of having.

So if you eat only meat, and your problems clear up, you can then slowly add foods back one by one to determine which is the source of the trouble.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #10

Also do you ir does anyone know if you can have low levels but barely any symptoms? Like I dont get cramps(other than IBS bowel cramps). I dont get headaches or anything. But Is it possible to not het headaches and cramps but be low on sodium and magnesium and those are causing bowel issues?

I have 5000mg sodium per day maybe i need more?
I eat 250mg tablets of magnesium per day maybe i meed to double or triple kt?
If i need tjat much magnesium how in gods name would a natural human eating animals only get upwards of 500mg a day? Was it in the water?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

Why not cut out the magnesium? I think most people here don’t take it at all.

(Bob M) #12

I second what Paul said.

You could also try this:

I tried this and it did not seem to have any effect, but some swear by it.

In part it depends on where you live and whether you’re getting enough from the veggies you eat. In lots of places in the world, the soil doesn’t have much so you don’t get much from what you eat. Electrolytes are critically important, including magnesium, potassium, and salt.

Possibly cutting it out might work for someone who didn’t have IBS issues or wasn’t concerned about adequate electrolytes.

I think that high levels of magnesium is a transitional phase. You want something as you lower your high levels of fiber; later after your system adapts, you can gradually cut back.

BTW, another thing that makes people constipated is lots of cheese. Diary in general can be a problem for people.

As for “natural human eating animals,” they didn’t have IBS. I strongly recommend you try an elimination diet to figure out what is causing it.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #14

My IBS is difficult. I dont het triggered by foods. What happens is over time my bowels need tk release and when they do its excoriating pain and agony. So I have the IBS-C. So it’s very difficult to cut out foods I’d have tk do each tests for months on end to see. What I do know Is eating a normal diet with fruits and carbs I was very regular. Now I’m not.

I also just learned the magnesium I take has 4% absorption rate so inedfdctively8havent been getting much magnesium

(Bob M) #15

Then go back to eating that diet. (Though I personally do not think that diet is “normal”. It’s the middle of winter in New England, USA, 300 years ago. What fruits are you eating? It’s hyped as being “normal”, but it’s not.)

(Christopher Kornelsen) #16

Trust me I’m with you. Normal in today’s age. I’m on the keto side but I need my digestion fixed or I definitely will go off of jt. It seems as a lower my fibre it doesnt get better so naturally I’m quite terrified of going no fibre because that pain is honestly almost unbearable to go through. Per day I’ll get MAX 10g kf fiber and that’s on an extrenel high day. So my fibre intake is rather low

(Katie) #17

I thought I was starting to have those same problems. It was awful.
I was then advised to up my salt intake…a lot.

I tried taking 2 tblspoons a day in addition to my diet salt. And quit the fiber. Oops,…diarrhea!!! So, dropped to 1 Tblspoon…same issue. Someone told me the right level was about 1 teaspoon. Ok…tried that. Not had a single problem since. Been about 2 months now.

(Christopher Kornelsen) #18

I do 1 teaspoon per day kf pink salt. Plus diet. I think I’ll raise it to 2 and awe what happens. Possibly could need more

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #19

You could try liquid magnesium citrate, found in most pharmacies (over the counter), at least in the US. It’s commonly used before certain surgeries to cleanse the bowel. I’d be careful taking it, as a full bottle could have “disasterous” effects (ie, stay near a bathroom).

(Marianne) #20

First, I’m sorry about your IBS experience. I only go about twice a week now, and many times when I break my fast or do go, it’s more than I used to before (not too crampy but can be diahreaha of sorts).

Are you eating enough and often enough? I eat OMAD and have to say that there are times in the day when I feel hungry and really want to eat before it’s time. I just ignore it and it passes quickly. Also, I didn’t experience true sustained energy until about four months in. I was expecting that to happen sooner. When it happens, however, it is really a good feeling. I think after years of abusing my body and feeding it junk, that’s just how long it took for me to get used to this WOE. Good luck.