Keto cold remedies?

(Roxanne) #1

So I’ve come down with a doozy, head is completely stuffed, can’t breath through my nose, throat is scratchy and sore, feel like crap. In the past, I would have taken tea with honey, and a whole lot of sugar-free extra-strength halls, but I’m avoiding most artificial sweeteners and honey. Made a huge pot of bone broth before it hit, so I’m sipping that, and regular/herbal teas. Also taking meds, and hot showers/baths, and using coconut oil on my poor sore nose and lips.

Do you have any other suggestions?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Bone broth is great, but may I suggest rest, rest, and more rest?

(Roxanne) #3

I hear you…but I"m self employed with a major deadline on Tuesday :frowning:

(Jacquie) #4

My go-to is always chicken soup/egg drop soup. Seems to work. :slight_smile: Hope you’re on the mend soon. Good luck with your deadline!

(jketoscribe) #5

When my kids are sick I make gelatin gummies. They use a little food grade citric acid for sour flavor (I get it at home brew supply shop), tea for coloring (I like celestial seasonings berry teas) but they do require some sweetener. Recipe here:

Good for soothing a scratchy throat and a nice change from tea and broth. A good cough drop substitute (cough drops are really nothing more than expensive candy). If o ever find elderberries I’m going to try elderberry gummies.

High dose Vit-C usually works for me. I take 1000mg in the AM and 1000mg in the PM. Some people take Zinc, but that never seemed to work for me.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

I’ve seen the suggestion of 1000mg an hour until you start to get the runs. I’ve not tried that much, though.

I usually start when I feel the cold coming on, and it goes away or is very mild. If I am actually sick I add a mid day 1000mg dose as well.

Just be careful, I think a lot of Vit-C chewables have sugar, but I don’t see nutrition info on supplements, so I’m not sure.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

Would definitely avoid chewables, for exactly that reason. Same with the Emergen-C powders, pretty sure they all have sugar.

(Roxanne) #10

Oh dear…that would require effort! Something I should make when I’m feeling well to have in reserve :slight_smile:

(Roxanne) #11

Hmmmm…I wonder if the drug stores are open today…

(Carol E. ) #12

This approach works for me as well. The little tickle in the back of my throat…