Keto clinical trial

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #1

I was curious, if any thought has been put into what a good clinical trial would be for getting respect for keto in the medical community in general? I have personally been involved in running very large global clinical trials for many heart drugs over the last 15 years, and know the process inside and out, and also understand the costs, from that perspective, but a nutrition and health study would be different and interesting to run.

Does any one know of any current ongoing keto clinical trials, where i could even sign up for one?

I was thinking a kick-starter campaign might be good start usually you start with a phase-1, or phase 2 trial in drug trials where you have maybe 20-50 participants. I was curious what the variables would be obviously we indicate a keto-diet, (how to control this and deal with people reporting false info?) and blood work, regular checkups, etc…

There might also be government grants that could be given for this kind of research, one would think, but I don’t really know that area very well.

I am under the impression you need an IRB (independent review board) especially for SAE (serious adverse events) but these are for drug trials, i suspect a nutrition trial, would not even need a PI (primary investigator) with an MD, or an IRB or have SAEs, but i am not sure how these two worlds (drug-trial and nutrition trial) would intersect.

It is an interesting thought anyways. Looking back however there is a mountain of clinical evidence that proves keto works, but i suspect nothing in our current (last 5-8 years) that is as relevant with our current population.

I have no solution to offer, but you could give a listen to what happened to the NuSi studies (Attia-Taubes-Hall et al) to get an idea of what’s involved.

(Randy) #3

When concluded, this will be HUGE!!! IMO :smile:

http://blog.virtahealth.com/virtas-preliminary-1-year-results-a-conversation-with-sarah-hallberg/

(Richard Morris) #4

Yes the first 2 papers from the Virta trial are current, relevant and devastating to the alternate hypothesis.

Dr Richard Feinman has done one crowd funded ketogenic pilot study into ketogenic treatments for cancer. We are going to interview him at Ketofest for our first ever podcast in front of a live audience … and I will ask him this subject. :smiley:

How about an online self reported data registry and calculation of descriptive statistics using a Community Based Participatory Research model. CBPR
LCHF has the numbers.