Keto/Carnivore...What are your go-to foods?

(mole person) #21

There are lots of carnivores that stay 100% keto. I do. My protein is not significantly higher than it was on keto.

@brownfat. I’m going to try that.

(George) #22

Steaks
Chicken thighs/wings
Bacon
Pork ribs
Ground beef / patties
Eggs
Freshly made pork rinds
Butter/ghee
Fish
I also cook with/season using dry herbs, since salt only can get a little boring at times.

My macro breakdown typically tends to be 75% cals from fat, 25% cals from protein.

I’ve stayed 100% carnivore for a couple days now. What I noticed seems a little weird, but is probably to be expected. Having to pee waaaayyyy more than I did before. Sorry if that’s TMI. But, I thought it was strange until thinking out why that might be. So, I’ll ask to see if I might be right…
Do we lose more water from muscle tissue or whereever - when we eliminate acceptable Keto carbs, like veggies? That’s the only thing that I can figure. Because, when I first started keto and eliminated all the naughty carbs - had to pee alot. Figured it was water weight because carbs make us retain water. So, going carnivore is really just like tightening the noose around the carbs a bit more - right? So it would stand to reason that we’d lose even more water by cutting even the acceptable carbs from avocado, broccoli, nuts, etc.

I also dropped an additional 2-4 pounds that had been teetering on the scales for the past 2 weeks.
Lost another inch on the hips, and another inch gone on the waist.
Had an increase in leg/foot cramps, so I upped the K and Mag, in addition to drinking 24 ounces of Dr. Berry’s Keto-ade. Feels pretty good now.
My stomach seems slightly more flat.

I tried the cheesecake on that zerocarb website. It did not turn out good. I think my chickens must lay humongous eggs, because using the two eggs called for in the recipe, it tasted like an overcooked, kind of grainy egg/cheese souffle, not a cheesecake. So, I’m doing it again with only one of the eggs.

Not eating too much cheese at all. Just staying closer to meat - mainly steaks, butter, hamburger patties, Kretschmer corned or roast beef deli slices, and an occasional piece of cheese. Hubby and I are taking off for a weekend of hotel and hiking Saturday am, so I might try some pan fried fish - like trout, whitefish or walleye…whatever Lake Superior serves up. And butter…my new, favorite dipping sauce. =)

Currently, day 16 on carnivore after 4 years keto. I am mostly eating beef and eggs, steaks, ribs, burgers and meatballs, slow cooked beef, some salmon from time to time but I make sure to eat enough fat about 75/25. Your taste might change and your body will signal what it needs. I find myself going crazy for liver, which I didn’t like before but now I eat daily. I already see benefits ref. energy, mood, digestion. Hell, I am calm and composed and positive all the time which was a surprise. Also I feel the need to eat very fatty which I didn’t (too much) on keto. Early days for me but I say give it a try and see how you feel. Oh, and started to kinda hate chicken on carnivore.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

My favorites are pork rinds, cheese, and yoghurt.

Carnivore eater here.

Go to is steak. Ribeye mostly. Big old chuck roast in the slow cooker.
Second is seafood. I eat a ton of shrimp and crab legs :slight_smile: sardines, tuna

I am a surf/turf kinda person. I like a side of seafood with my beef!

another faithful is hamburger.

bacon and bacon and more bacon.
grass fed butter and more butter.
alfredo sauce is a staple for dipping anything when I don’t want just straight butter :slight_smile:

Reviving an old post but here are some of my go to foods:
Ground beef - actually prefer to precook it and eat it cold. Liquid beef fat does a number on my stomach.
Beef stew meat - throw a pound or so in the instant pot with some extra fat trimmings then eat with a little butter or tallow
Beef fat trimmings - I ask for these either at a butcher shop or at the meat counter.
Suet if I have it.
Beef Liver
Whatever Beef I caught on manager’s special lately it seems to be variations of beef chuck.
Eggs - usually steamed in the instant pot for ease of pealing. Also only eat the yolk because the whites make my stomach unhappy.
Pork belly - slices either fried up crispy or cooked in the oven at about 425F until crispy. This has pretty much replaced bacon for me. I still eat bacon sometimes but I try to avoid it because of the sugar.
About the only source of sugar left in my regular eating is lactose as I treat myself to a little whole fat yogurt just not every day.

I like to make my ground beef/heart burger ahead of time and eat it cold too.

It’s too early for me to say what my go to foods are. Beef is a majority and that included the ground beef, ribeyes, roasts, ribs and liver right now. Getting ready to try beef cheeks since the butcher had them at 50% off. Been eyeing a bison roast too. And I don’t think I’ll EVER be tired of bacon. US Wellness Meats bacon has zero sugar and no nasty additives making it a Whole 30 food. Also, Pederson hams…omg!!! I buy those and cut them up into individual servings to have with my eggs. Pederson sausages (at least the ones we buy) are delicious also. They remind me of how sausage tasted when I was a kid.

(Brian Smith) #29

Eggs, bacon, pork belly and cheese (separately) are the foods i use to get calories that are high in fat.

I just wanted to chime in that the bison roast I had almost a decade ago was thee tastiest roast I have ever eaten in my life!!! It was gifted to us when a group we knew went on a hunt, it had only been briefly frozen for transport home, so maybe the freshness played a role, but dang it was delicious :yum:

@BeStill I’ve enjoyed bison burgers before but I’m looking forward to trying a roast. I hope mine will be as delicious as yours was! :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #32

But whole lot less than carbs… as a now exT2 I don’t have any problem with protein causing elevated blood sugar so I wouldn’t let that worry you.

(Bruce Pick) #33

For me, butter. Straight off the stick, on a knife blade. I prefer unsalted because I get a lot of salt anyway. Yes we also add it to just about anything.

Frozen veggies, then sauteed in whatever fat is handy. Add some thyme, rosemary, whatever.

I like to cook tough meats (usually with bones) in a crock pot. Ribs, neck bones, some cuts of chuck steak or chuck roast. After 4-6 hours they’re very tender, and the bones yield a super rich broth that I use in low carb chili and also in whatever will be the next batch of slow-cooked meat.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #34

My experience is the opposite, I find IF harder an Carnivore and basically abandoned fasting protocols for now. I get hungry earlier and stay satiated longer. I used to wait till between 9-10am for breakfast and my second meal about 2-3. Lately my breakfast has been earlier and my second meal later like after 4. Today I ate breakfast at 6:30am.

My go to food is rare beef steaks, eggs and butter. :cut_of_meat: :egg: :cowboy_hat_face:

I noticed I am flipping now also.

I never eat in the morning. Never did. Never liked it.

I am usually eating around 1-2pm my big meal and then I eat around 4-5-6 something again.

Now I am way more hunger early. My eating is like getting full on hungry around 8-9am. Holds me a very long time til I want to eat a bit more and call it a day

With carnivore you eat naturally. A normal natural time of not eating, resting your body----I hate to use the word fasting here----but we get those benefits.

I can’t fast. I tried. I made a few back in the day forcing no food even when hungry etc. Never will work for me but I sure can fall into a natural eating time on carnivore…like 16:8 without it being forced in any way. Just my eating times thru the day for me.

I just always eat when hungry, don’t eat when not. If my eating times start to change around, I just follow them and not think one thing about it. I just listen to the body at all times and see where it goes :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #36

I’m pretty similar, my normal routine is to eat when I get to work unless I hit the ground running so that’s normally between 9:00 and 10:00. My second meal is usually going to be before 5:00 p.m. On the weekend I might eat as early as 8:00 and my second meal is early as 2:00 and then I’m done for the day. but occasionally I’ll wind up eating five or six times a day