Keto candied orange peel!

allulose
orange-peel

I look for orange-type stuff around winter holidays and was happy to find this - pricey but when eaten in minimal servings works out to around .40 cents per piece and delivers some nice anti-oxidants. Just one or two pieces can be added to a plate of meat or salmon and nibbled for a symphony of wonderful tastes (esp good with chili sauce) - or eaten as dessert w/ a l’il chocolate, or enjoyed with a keto hot chocolate.

One tablespoon of fresh orange peel is only around 1.5 gram carbs.

Orange peels are an anti-inflammatory compliment and stimulate the palate - but are very bitter if not sweetened in some way or used as zest into larger dishes.

Someday I will make my own!

Of course certain brave hearts may just be able to eat orange peel straight, for the health benefits and cost-effectiveness:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/health-benefits-of-eating-orange-peels

Or, one can buy dried orange peel powder (much cheaper) and add it to things - less of a foodie thing and more a medicinal thing.

I don’t know if it was the brand or I can’t expect more from orange, I bought some once, it was cheap indeed but totally bad (unlike lemon peel powder). I only eat tasty stuff. Besides, I like the texture of candied orange peels and similar things. Maybe one day I make candied (or just dried) ginger, it’s allegedly good for our throat/voice, I sing in a choir.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Bear in mind that the d-limonene in citrus peels is known to cause cancer in male rats (though not in female rats, interestingly). I don’t know what the risk might be to human beings, but I think it might just be a good idea not to go hog-wild with the candied peels. (Says the boy who loves candied orange and lemon peels.)

(Polly) #4

Is it that it doesn’t cause cancer in female rats, or that female rats have not been studied?

The usage of orange peel as a flavoring, spice, and treat goes back a loooong time - and in LCHF/keto doses the limonene is certainly in minute amounts and nothing to worry about. In fact, you can use straight 100% orange oil in baking (not the stuff that is cleaning stuff and has surfactants added to it) - a little goes a long way - just like vanilla extract, etc.

Of course anyone who downs gobs of most anything will have negative consequences - food addicts must proceed with caution with anything tasty, esp with favorite things.

Interestingly, even sour ornamental oranges’ peels can be used - but they’re usually ignored in our society.

There are many uses for orange peel besides eating them - you can burn them as emergency fuel, make oil extracts, sending ants away, freshening the fridge, and also using them for skin exfoliation :joy: I wasn’t taught any of this stuff as a kid, and love learning it.

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #6

So happy to see Moon’s Grove Farms mentioned. Chef Will and Jen are awesome folks and are frequently at the Athens, GA Farmer’s Market. Jen is also the inspiration for me beginning my Keto journey as we have been casual friends for a few years and I saw what Keto did for her! O… did I mention I have some Orange Peel candy on hand now!?

Oh my Word!!! How wonderful is that? And you are lucky to have some of that on hand.

I’ll have mine by Christmas though :star_struck:

(Jennifer Kleiman) #8

Thanks Mary! That’s my little food company, I started it after attending Ketofest last year and just got such a positive reception it threw me into a tizzy of startup madness. @carl saying he liked it got me excited :slight_smile: Hope you love it! Wish I’d seen this post before I mailed off your package, I would’ve thrown in some extra treats for a fellow Forum user :slight_smile:

And yeah they’re pricey but ughhh it is a ton of work and allulose is $$$$, at least for now. I know a firm opening up in 2020, supposedly, that says they will cut the price in half! Can’t wait!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

It doesn’t cause cancer in female rats. Females have other cancer risks, but d-limonene is not one of them.

So you can safely give your does oranges, etc., but not your bucks. The things one learns by keeping pet rats!

How very wonderful!!! :orange_heart:

It’d also be great if the repurposed orange peels came from unsprayed oranges someday…

(Jennifer Kleiman) #11

We get some (but not all) of our peels from a company that uses exclusively organic citrus. I’m exploring what we could do to increase that and increase the quality of their peels… if I’m ever to make this a successful business we need consistent, high-quality and YES organic peels to work with. I have been thinking about how to make it work but it’s a tough problem. Hmmm. Just got an idea :slight_smile:

(Jennifer Kleiman) #12

The idea didn’t pan out :frowning: Ah well, back to thinking about more ideas.