Keto Breathalyzer Readings

(Lauren) #1

Greetings All,

I am new to Keto and am 12 days in. I am also doing intermittent fasting 18-6. My husband is also doing the diet with me.

I decided to buy a keto meter and tried using it a few times. The first day it read a 5 which was “starving ketosis” given the scale on the meter. Since I’m doing IF I didn’t worry about it.

Now, no matter the time of day, I’m getting readings of 9 and 9.5 which is really close to ketoacidosis in the ketometer scale. I’m not diabetic so I’m confused!

Should I worry about this? Or is it common to have a ton of ketones produced when u first start the diet?

My husband has been getting 3’s in the meter (ideal ketosis) and we are eating the exact same diet. Help!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I presume you are using a Cheap Breathalyzer™ and if I am wrong please correct me. The numbers you quote are typical from breathalyzers designed to measure BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration). The cheap ones have a sensor that apparently can also detect BrAce (Breath Acetone). But we don’t know for sure whether it’s actually detecting BrAce or Isopropanol which has a similar molecular structure.

Whatever, the numbers are meaningless. They tell you nothing about BrAce or ketosis. So, no need to worry.