Keto and vertigo (Meniere's Disease)

Does anyone have a suggestion for me with regards to my strict keto diet to lower my A1C from 6.0 to 5.4 (now). It has worked to lower my A1C over the past 9 months but I have been experiencing more episodes of the vertigo and nausea associated with Meniere’s Disease that I have had for about 7 years. I thought that my keto diet would heal pre-diabetes, Meniere’s disease and Hashimotos.

Lately I have been experiencing more vertigo episodes (about 1-2+ per month) and have wondered if my electrolytes are off?

I take WP Thyroid and a bioidentical hormone. I am 58 years old, 5 ft 6.5 " and weigh 125 lbs. I feel like the keto diet plus salting my food and putting a bit of pink himalayan salt under my tongue is a good plan but wonder if there is anything else I could do. The veritgo comes on even sometimes when I feel like I have had enough salt. I had less vertigo episodes when I was not at my ideal weight and when I was not eating a strict keto diet.

I am pretty confused because most ENTs say a low salt diet is the only cure for Meniere’s. The author of THe Salt Fix disagrees.

I would appreciate any insight you might have! Thank you!

(Kunal ) #2

Did you get any insight with the issue. I exactly feel the same way. Can you share how are you handling this issue?

Not just sodium, but potassium and magnesium are important for this diet. Check out the Keto Aide thread: KetoAide homemade If that sounds too much, spinach salad, avocado, almonds, and pepitas daily

(David Spangler) #4

I’m not sure if you ever found an answer to this. But I’m curious as to whether or not you are taking any type of exogenous ketone supplement?
I was taking one daily for roughly 3-5 weeks and eventually started noticing a very intense vertigo, especially when just waking up. I suspected the ketone salts to be the culprit, and sure enough, about 2-3 days after I stopped taking them the vertigo disappeared.
I think this supplement was causing a massive electrolyte imbalance which caused the vertigo. Hope this is helpful!

Came to this thread as searched ‘vertigo’. But found the more fully informative thread and post there: Ménière's disease success stories

Vertigo is the latest coincidental biological experience for me. I eat LCHF and have measurable blood ketones. But the are often lower than 0.5mmol/L. So I’m cycling in and out of nutritional ketosis. I don’t take an exogenous ketone supplement. But I do add MCT oil to a once daily cup of coffee.

I’m interested in electrolytes in following LCHF long term. An early thought on vertigo and the anatomy of the inner ear is the role of calcium in forming the crystals in that area.

As soon as we mention calcium in LCHF we open the electrolyte gate of sodium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and selenium. In other words the importance of micronutrient minerals, their salts and the associated vitamins.

I’ll just note this for now while I’m experiencing a form of vertigo, and see if any other stories or thoughts emerge in response.

(Patricia) #6

I only just started taking Himalayan pink salt (over a teaspoon) for 3 days. I read the body needs more salt in keto. For those 3 days my vertigo came back. It’s been years. I’m taking trace minerals and extra potassium and magnesium as well.