Keto and menstrual cycle: continous bleeding

I have been doing keto for 4 months now and I absolutely love it, however it really messed up my menstrual cycle. I use birth control pills and have never had any problem with them. But since keto, I have been spotting almost continuously (lightly though). When I bleed, I also feel really bloated (like I am retaining water or something). I started to take sea kelp for iodine and it made the bleeding lighter, but the problem is not yet gone. Does anyone have similar experiences or suggestions? (btw, I have not lost weight and I don’t want to because I am already thin, I went on keto for my hypoglycemia)

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

(Dani) #3

I have the same issue. I’m 19 months into keto, 37 and thought I’d gone into early menopause. Thankfully I’ve not however, I bleed every 1-2 weeks even with a coil in.

I’d also love to know what other woman’s experience are.

(Lisa ) #4

I had a similar experience when I started. This is from having perfectly regular cycles beforehand. Suspect it’s the influence keto has on sex hormones.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Search this forum for periods/bleeding and you’ll find a lot of useful threads. When you initially burn through a bunch of fat, the estrogen stored in your fat is released. When it is released in conjunction with the estrogen normally released from your monthly ovulation, it can cause a surge greater than your uterus is used to, causing abnormal bleeding.

The thing is, I have not lost weight and I don’t want to because I am naturally thin. I love keto and it fixed my hypoglycemia and constant hunger but the bleeding is really annoying me.

(Mel) #7

I almost posted this exact question today, I take birth control and have forever and I usually don’t even get my period and if I do it’s super light. I got my period today, which i’m not due for another 3 weeks and it’s super heavy. Thanks for posting this! Teh replies are helpful and make me feel normal :slight_smile:

(Mini Eclair) #8

i have been on menopause for 3 years and on Keto for more than 2 years. I started light bleeding (similar to the last day of period) 1 month ago and have not stop as of today. Does any one had similar experience for bleeding more than 1 month. If you had experienced reversed menopause, how long did your bleeding last ? I am wondering if what I am experiencing is normal? When can I expect the bleeding to stop?

I feel my right groin is getting tight after I started bleeding for about 2-3 weeks. I was able to do hip adduction machine at gym on the max span range with no issue. Recently I have to stretch before I get on the machine and my right groin is in a little pain.

(Tasha ) #9

Started Keto 1/6/20. Started my menses on 1/11 and still bleeding . Very heavy. I hope it stops.

(TeiShino) #10

I experienced the same as you and I would like to think the same too!!