Keto and HIGH triglycerides and HIGH cholesterol

(Dave) #29

@Ketosiskillsfat – per @akirby83’s suggestion, I strongly recommend you don’t react too strongly to your numbers until you have a solid test to confirm they represent your current status. Note that not only does the added fat matter, but so too does the coffee (studies show it can activate more lipolysis).

If you’ve followed even 1% of my research, you know that I can show an extraordinary amount of variability with just a few changes in the diet inside the days and hours before the test.

My recommendation:

• Eat at your median levels for three day before the test.
  • Water only fast for 12-14 hours for the last meal of the night before to the blood test of the morning after.
  • As best as you can, try to stay relaxed and not stress about it – this too can impact lipids.

From there, you’ll have a much more accurate baseline to work from. :slight_smile:

(Marc Gagnon) #31

Hi Dave. Ive decided to continue my Ketogenic protocol very strict no refeeds and consuming 80%fat, 15%protein, and 5%carbs (im in my third year) ive followed you for over a year now and have just caught up with your most recent videos. Well im 10 days from my bloodwork and going into it this time as quitting my daily bullet proof coffee and eating my normal ratios and fasting 12 hrs before blood draw. I will let you know the outcome. As you know I shared my last numbers that were all wonky. I have changed two variables going into it and thats the coffee and the fast leading up to the test. Thanks for all of the insight I do appreciate it. Regards
Marc

(Sonny) #32

Hey @Ketosiskillsfat, just wanted to see how your latest results are. I just started Keto about a month ago and I used to be almost vegan. My TG shot up quite a bit:

Results - Almost vegan - Keto (1month)
Total Cholesterol - 135 - 157
LDL - 74 - 66
HDL - 45 - 50
Triglycerides - 79 - 203

I am not concerned about the total cholesterol or LDL but the high TG have me confused.

Thanks,
Sonny

(Marc Gagnon) #33

Hi there Sonnysach[quote=“Sonnysach, post:32, topic:34616, full:true”] My latest results are still really high. Ive been on a very strict Ketogenic protocol for over two years now and no matter how ive fasted or “prepared” for my blood test I havent been able to see reasonable numbers. So the mystery still resides after 2 years of the lifestyle.
LDL-409
HDL-43
TRIGS-195
C-REACTIVE PROTEIN- .45
Im 5’5”
My weight is 135 (ideal)
Hey @Ketosiskillsfat, just wanted to see how your latest results are. I just started Keto about a month ago and I used to be almost vegan. My TG shot up quite a bit:

Results - Almost vegan - Keto (1month)
Total Cholesterol - 135 - 157
LDL - 74 - 66
HDL - 45 - 50
Triglycerides - 79 - 203

I am not concerned about the total cholesterol or LDL but the high TG have me confused.

Thanks,
Sonny
[/quote]

Do you know if you are an ApoE4 carrier? MTHFR? have you ever checked homocysteine?

(Marc Gagnon) #35

Those are my latest results from last month that I provided thanjs

(Marc Gagnon) #36

Keto_Tom no i havent explored any of those options. I will have to research. Ive gone zero carb as of 6 weeks ago and seeing how this affects things. I brought my energy intake down some as well. After two and a half years on a very strict protocol and seeing my lipid results skyrocket time and time again its been a bit stressful to not find any answers yet. Thanks for the recommendations I will research.

(Bunny) #37

Men Classified as Hypo- or Hyperresponders to Dietary Cholesterol Feeding Exhibit Differences in Lipoprotein Metabolism: These data suggest that additional dietary cholesterol does not increase the risk of developing an atherogenic lipoprotein profile in healthy men, regardless of their response classification. …More

(Marc Gagnon) #38

I have been 0 carb for almost two months now and have been less than 15 carbs total for at least 3 years now and have been getting my energy from fat. I said goodbye to fructose and sugars a long time ago. Aint that to be short and sweet. Thanks though.

(Marc Gagnon) #39

Atomicspacebunny i also eat between 200-300 grams of fat per day where i feel my best. They are all derived from animal sources

(Brooke Walsh Guadamuz) #40

At the hospital the Er doctor said the 1500 triglyceride level was from the high fat content that is eaten and described how dangerous it is for YOUR pancreas. THERE IS A TRIGLYCERIDE MEDICINE IT IS LOW COST. The KETO diet has appeared to have had the same benefits on our side as well! And that beer and liquer are still alcohol so they go hand and hand, so even tho a couple drinks get you in the er and put you over the top. The actual ongoing cause IS the high fat content in your blood cells that keep building up that get you that bad bad stomach pain.

(Marc Gagnon) #41

? Huh???

(Marc Gagnon) #42

???Huh???

I feel your pain. Just had my recent labs back and basically my numbers have gotten ‘worse’ again. I’m now 8 months into my keto diet, have dropped a lot of weight but my cholesterol refuses to move in the right direction. Over three or four tests in the last 8 months, my LDL is usually around 200, HDL between 40 and 50, trigs 130-200. In fact, my numbers are exactly the same as when I was eating a whole load of carbage, apart from the fact that my LDL is now even higher.

On the plus side, my Hba1c was 5.2 before keto when I was 50lbs heavier (topped out at about 240 lbs)…and is still 5.2 after 8 months of keto (what to conclude from that I’m not sure). I also have some pretty big guys in my family (aged in their 50s and 60s) and none of them are diabetic or even pre-diabetic, despite basically eating a standard western diet.

As an experiment, for the last couple of months I’ve started doing a lot more exercise, have been doing resistance training and gaining muscle, I’ve done two 5 day fasts as well as multiple 24 hour and IF most days…and it’s had absolutely no impact on the numbers.

The high trigs and complete lack of HDL improvement since I started keto are both confusing to me too, given what we know about quality fat intake etc.

A couple of possible factors at play for me is that I am heterozygous for ApoE4 (alzheimer’s gene) and homozygous for MTHFR C677T which messes with my bodies methylation cycle and is fairly famous on ‘the internet’. Both of these may somehow influence the way the body uses cholesterol so I’ve just this week started a supplementation experiment that I’ll stick to for a few months to see what, if any difference, it makes to my general wellbeing/lab numbers. For anyone interested I’ll be taking

• A fancy multivitamin
  • Creatine
  • Glycine
  • Choline (Sunflower Lecithin)
  • Curcumin
  • Magnesium/Potassium (which I was taking anyway)

Running out of ideas after that…I am still losing weight so perhaps that’s all it is…maybe I need to wait until I reach a stable, healthy body fat for 6 months or so then run the numbers.

(Adriana) #44

A few days ago I was reading a similar thread, the poster has high trigs and found something that works from him, this is the thread: Carnivore Diet N=1 and High Triglycerides Riddle

Thanks, that is a useful thread, I have responded.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

@Keto_Tom Have you looked at the information on Dave Feldman’s site, www.cholesterolcode.com? Ivor Cummiins also has a lot of useful information about cholesterol at www.thefatemperor.com. Prof. David Diamond has a very interesting series of papers out, several with Uffe Ravnskov, about statins and cholesterol, and what the real problem is.

Various presentations by all three of these gentlemen are available on YouTube. Just go to YouTube and search on their names.

(Omar) #47

If I may

I am little confused by your reply.

but who is the carrier/transporter for tg in a fasting state?

isn’t it the ldl?

(Viet Walin) #48

I think the answer to why your blood lipid panel was sky rocketing this past test was due to your high fat consumption prior to testing. In a clinic testing, a high fat meal is defined as a meal containing 75g of fat. Your coffee contained 80g so yes it would be consider a high fat meal. Such high fat meal prior to testing will give you elevated triglycerides, especially at the peak (like blood sugar peak after meal) and the peak of triglyceride from meals is about 4 hours post feeding. Next time, do just a typical 8-12 hour fast prior to testing if you wish. And if you want to munch, go with just little fat like 4-5 brazil nuts or 1 oz of cheese

(Consensus is Politics) #49

I realize this thread is fairly old. Seems to be a lot of questions about a high fat diet and labs tests. I’ve posted my most recent labs elsewhere, but thought I might as well show them off here as well.

I’m including everything that was done, most of which I have no idea what they mean, but perhaps someone can make use of it.

For reference, I’ll try to find my previous labs for comparison. But that will have to wait until I get back to my computer tomorrow.

Note: 29 August 2017 I was dx with T2DM. My HBa1c was 11.7%, with a BG reading of 594! I started zero carb on 17 October 2017, so it’s been almost exactly one year. I eat a very high fat moderate protein diet. I try to eat zero carbs, but I still indulge myself in the occasional grilled onion with my steaks, as well as pickled jalapeños with my pork bellies. But always certain to keep them under 20 grams of carbs a day. And that’s gross not net as far as I can measure.

Note Two: Very little exercise. There have been maybe a dozen days in the past year where I got on my stationary bike, and rode it for 15 miles, which was an hour of riding.

Note Three: oops. I didn’t have a long fast before this test. At 6 am I had a BPC. It was about 7 hours before the test. And it was about 500 calories of fat :thinking:. Now if someone can clue me in if these lab results are now invalid? But I think they are probably ok (should say I hope​:sunglasses:)

So drum roll please………

PSA 0.71 ng/mL 0.1-4.0
HGB A1C 5.6 % 4.1-6.4
Test Name Result Units Reference Range
WBC 5.16 K/cmm 4.8-10.8
RBC 5.03 M/cmm 4.7-6.1
HGB 15.3 g/dL 14-18
HCT 46.5 % 42-52
MCV 92.4 fL 80-94
MCH 30.4 pg 27.0-31.0
MCHC 32.9 Low g/dL 33-37
RDW 13.9 % 11/14/18