Keto and confused

(Mandy Miller) #1

I am ending my 3rd week on keto. I’ve lost 5 lbs so far. I was drinking ag least 3 to 4 16 oz Pepsi’s a day along with half coffee half sugar filled creamer AND nesquik milk during the day…not to mention all the bad foods I’d eat during the day. So when I first started keto I thought I’d drop 10 lbs the first week considering I quit all of those drinks cold turkey and only en
My second week I stopped 3 lbs and this week I’ve dropped nothingpt up with macros by carb manager, I havent cheated and have been walking. I fo have a desk job which sucks so I’m stuck to a chair for 8 hours a day but I walk on my lunch and when I get off. I’m 36 and have have high cholesterol but great BP (surprisingly) So I dont know what I’m doing wrong. I’m eating under 20 carbs and not exceeding anything. Any advise?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Welcome to the forum, Mandy. Keto is not a quick weight loss diet. It’s a long term process of metabolic normalization that usually includes normalization of weight. Excess weight/fat is a symptom of metabolic disfunction and it may or may not come off as fast as you think or want. A lot of stuff happens when you begin keto all at the same time. Your metabolism and body are starting to heal and repair from years of eating SAD and all the crap and junk you describe. Be patient and give yourself time for good things to happen. They will. There are a lot of folks on this forum who can give you specific advice as the need arises, so feel free to ask. Best wishes.

People are different. It does no good to compare other people`s results with ones own. People have different starting weights, ages, and different levels of activity. So many many factors play a role. Maybe you need to think of it this way: if you lose 5 lbs every month you will have lost 60 lbs in a year. KCKO ( keep calm keto on - as we say here). Keto simply isnt a jump on and off the wagon. It is a long term change of eating habits. A friend said to me “You’ve lost weight!” and I answered “Yeah- but it is very very slow. I lost 20 lbs in 6 months.” She said “Thats the best way to lose weight.” Why? Because it is sustainable. A friend of mine just got on a strict diet and he goes running every day now. He lost 20 lbs in 3 months during the quarantine. The problem is he will gain it all back ( as he usually does with all his diets) the minute he stops running.

(Mandy Miller) #4

Thanks! I definitely want to do this long term as a way of life. Although I do miss my pepsi lol! I still feel a bit sluggish somedays so I’m trying to incorporate more salt into my diet.
I guess I just thought knocking all that sugar out would make me lose a lot in the beginning.

I was a diet cola addict. I now drink mineral water on the rocks with a shot of apple cider vinegar. Try it! Not too much and not too little- but just enough to give that sour twang on the side of the mouth.

(Mandy Miller) #6

I’ve never tried mineral water. I’ve tried the apple cider vinegar and thought I was going to die lol!! I do take the apv pills though. I wonder if vitamin water is good to drink?

(Mandy Miller) #7

Or is that the same thing?

Anything without carbs or sweetness. The sweetness even with artificial sweeteners can possibly evoke an insulin reaction which is what we want to avoid.

I live in Europe so I dont know what products you buy or what they contain. Sorry. I have never heard of “vitamin water”

(Mandy Miller) #10

I’ll look around surely we have it here. I looked at the vitamin water and it has 33g of carbs so that’s a no go.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

A couple of factors are at work here. For metabolising excess stored fat, lowering insulin levels by lowering carbohydrate intake is a pre-requisite. Strategies to keep insulin as low as possible for as much of the day as possible are also helpful. Another requirement is adequate caloric intake, since restricting calories risks triggering a metabolic slowdown. (The easiest way to know how much to eat is to use appetite as a guide, eating only when hungry, and stopping eating when hunger is satisfied). The amount of excess fat to be eliminated is another factor, and even those people who lost enormous amounts of fat on keto found their last ten pounds much harder to lose than their first one hundred.

Shoot. I can barely lose the second hundred!

(Mandy Miller) #13

I have A LOT to lose myself! I guess that’s why I’m getting impatient with it. LoL! Eating right is hard and can be expensive. I made my son some biscuits yesterday and I wanted one SO bad!!! It took everything in me not to grab one and stuff it in my mouth.

No it doesn’t work this way. Even no fat-loss would be completely normal… I had that for months as I ate just as much as I needed. My body got their energy from food so it kept the precious fat stores.

10lbs of the first week? Totally unrealistic unless if you can lose lots of water (I never lost more than 4). 1lbs of fat-loss in a single week takes pretty serious efforts from me (I can’t do that without being more serious I ever was), it’s a big amount of energy, after all. Easier if you have lots of fat to lose or if you are very active and it doesn’t cause hunger but for many of us, 1 lbs a week is very good, 2lbs is dreamy but maybe possible but more? That’s for very very fat ones eating little and other special cases. And they don’t lose 10lbs either just together with the water in the first week and that doesn’t even matter (though cheer up some people for some reason).

Be glad you are much nicer to your body now (hopefully… it’s hard to imagine you don’t eat much better know but it’s very individual. one can eat horribly on keto too… but some crappy sugar source can’t be really good for anyone even if they handle it well enough) and be patient. Your hunger and satiation may change later. You probably can be stricter later too… If keto is comfortable enough for you, you can add extra rules and limitations if you find some culprit but if not, just get used to it first and it will be easier later!

A lot is not very informative… But it’s individual too. 30-35lbs is not enough for me to have an easy time to lose fat (with my usual activity). And I don’t do it if it’ hard. It was super easy earlier, eating way more carbs (80g net but that’s much) and carbs make me eat more. But I had a bigger body so I could afford that.
But it’s not easy for some people with 100lbs extra fat… And lucky ones can lose easily the last 5 too…

(Mandy Miller) #15

I feel ya. I know it took a while to gain this weight as itll take a while to come off. I’m not as young as I once was. I know I cant compare myself to others but I do see people’s before/after pics and sometimes get discouraged but I’ve got to do me because I know all of our bodies arent the same. I hope the energy starts to kick in soon. I’m so exhausted all the time. After 12pm I could literally go to sleep. Idk where these people say they have all this energy.

(Will knit for bacon. ) #16

I was one of the lucky ones - two days of low carbs and I felt amazing. I had some leg cramps but magnesium and potassium supplements mostly cleared those up.

I went into keto a little over a year ago with the goal of sparing my kids the sight of diabetes slowly killing me, like I saw with my grandmother and now with my mother. I’ve lost weight, yeah, and it’s nice, and I’m sure I’ll lose more as I go along, but that pales in the face of how much better I feel.

I’ve hopped on and off the wagon here and there, because cake, but I’m human and didn’t let it bother me. Just keep doing your best and pay attention to what your body tells you it needs.