Keto and Breast Cancer

cancer
breastcancer

(Jenny) #1

Well, it happened. I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer - about 3 weeks ago. It’s scary, yes. Funny thing is I know I got this. I’m going to kick some cancer ass…oops. I swore. Fortunately for me I had started keto on September 1, 2018. Was a bit lazy about it…thanks to the weekend college football tailgates (Go Blue!). January 1, 2019 I got serious. Deep into optimal ketosis right now and loving it! So, I’ve been researching the keto diet and how it affects cancer. BAM! I’m doing exactly what I should be doing! Thank you Dr. Seyfried and Dr. Boz!

I have yet to mention to my family and cancer doctors that I’m keto but I’ve been checking my numbers via keto mojo and just learned about the Glucose/Ketosis Index from Dr. Seyfried and I’m in the optimal range for fighting/preventing cancer. Anyone else handling cancer with keto?
Also, do you think we should have another category for treating disease with keto?

(Scott) #2

If it were me I would go as low on carbs as I could. People over at MFP (before I left) used to bash me regarding cancer and keto as if I was giving medical advice that would kill people and it is “unproven”. What they never understood is the cancer needs glucose to feed on and it cannot use ketones as fuel. The other point is that keto WOE is not a replacement for any treatment but has been shown to make treatment more effective and it seems to reduce some unpleasant side effects. So the way I see it why not try it as part of treatment and continue as a preventive measure. There is a fascinating book on this subject I enjoyed titled “Tripping Over the Truth” you may want to read. It sounds like you have a good start on this and wish you the best of luck.

(Pam ) #3

You got this! I hope your remission comes soon and you are at your healthy, happy best in no time. Hugs and you will be in my thoughts!

(Ben ) #4

You might try to restrict your carbs to less than 5 a day. Yes I said 5. It is doable and it will put into therapeutic ketosis. That’s the level that may be needed to starve the cancer, Its worth the effort considering all of the horrible side effects of current treatments. GOOD LUCK!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

You might find it very helpful to watch this presentation by Dr. Lemanne:

(Carl Keller) #6

Welcome Jenny.

I just love your attitude and positivity. Keep believing in yourself! My prayers and best wishes go out to you. :slight_smile:

There are a few active members who are using keto to battle cancer. You might find some useful information on @KetoCancerMom’s profile. And we do have this subforum as well:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/health/cancer

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Good job getting your GKI down. That’s something I’m struggling with! I can usually get down to under 3. I’ve found it hard to get it under 1, but I’ve gotten there some days!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

I have multiple myeloma, a blood cancer, so low carb (according to my research) may not be doing much for me except for the areas I have bone lesions. I read a bunch about how it can really benefit folks with tumor based cancers. I wish you the very best on your journey. It will be scary, mostly the unknown and fear of discomfort, but remember attitude is everything and the crap is temporary. Hang in there and you’ll see yourself on the other side of it!

(Jenny) #9

Thank you PetaMarie! I hope your journey is successful as well. I just started listening to an audio book by Dr. Nasha Winters called The Metabolic Approach to Cancer. Some what technical but very interesting all the same. I’m learning a lot.

(Lorinda Mutsaers) #10

Thank you so much for posting this. I found this presentation so informative, especially the information regarding If during treatment. :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

Hello Jenny. My GF had breast cancer 1 year before I met her. She beat it, and 5 years later, she’s still cancer free :slight_smile: You will beat this too.

If it were me, I’d consider medically supervised fasting to starve that cancer out ! I’d look into some high dosing of CBD’s.

I would also research more heavily Antineoplaston and Dr. Burzynski.

Finally, and this is just me, I’d consider “poisoning myself with chemo” as a very last resort.

In any case, you got this :slight_smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

@Scoop45

Just wanted to check in with you to see how you are doing. I try to check in on people from time to time. How is your treatment going? How is your GKI? Any updates on scans/progress?

Feel free to read about my progress: My Story

(Jenny) #13

Hi Folks,
Thanks for checking in. I’m doing well, actually better than well. After my initial post I did lots of research, had a second opinion on the recommendation of my cancer doctor of lumpectomy followed by radiation (hell no) and a lot of deep thought and came to the conclusion I needed to listen to my gut. My initial reaction when i got the news was “cut them off”. I considered other options but finally when it was all said and done I listened to me. To what my gut was telling me and I am so thrilled that I did. I had a bilateral mastectomy with saline implants placed during the same surgery. (This would be the first time having big boobs paid off!) 4 weeks later I was good to go. I’ve since kept with my Keto WOE and have lost a total of 20 lbs and feel great. It dosen’t sound like a large amount of weight compared to some of you rock stars but I’m 5’1 on a good day and have been 20-30 lbs over weight my entire adult life. I hit menopause and my DDs went to DDD! So I had it with being over weight and uncomfortable. Decided to go for a breast reduction, canceled the surgery as my dad had passed and just wasn’t ready so I rescheduled a year later (for Feb 2019) skipping my yearly mammogram. Sept 2018 I decided to try keto to lose the extra weight. Pre operative Mammogram in Dec, cancer dx Jan 2019. Surgery April 2019. I have a functional medicine doctor and although hes vegan he supports my keto WOE. He used meds and supplements with anti cancer effects for a few weeks to prep me for surgery. The only one I’m still on is metformin as it has anticancer properties and for a bonus will keep my blood sugar low…not that I have high BG but it’s a added benefit. And dont worry, it doesn’t drop my BG too low, I’ve been monitoring it. Plus I can get it free at the pharmacy so why not! Anyway, I feel great both physically and mentally and love my Keto WOE.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

So you have sources for this? I’m curious. I know that it lowers BG, which is good in cancer treatment. It sounds like you were a much earlier stage them me.

Glad to hear good news from you.

(Jenny) #15

I cant find the documentation my doctor gave me but here’s something.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29342230/

It would be interesting to hear what Richard thinks about this subject.

And to answer your question, I had DCIS stage 0, grade 3 about five clusters.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #16

A much different situation than mine! Great survival outcomes for you, statistically.