Keto and birth control

(Kayva Draper) #1

Hey guys I have been on the birth control Nexplanon for almost 3 years, my period stopped completely until today after 3 weeks of doing keto i got my period is this good or bad. Do i need to stop keto to stop my period. I do not want to have periods.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Keto is a metabolic normalization process that apparently normalizes other stuff not usually associated with metabolism, at least for you. If that’s not what you want, then keto is not for you. I recommend you expend some serious thought about that before making your decision.

(Kayva Draper) #3

Ok awesome thank you! SO I am shouldn’t be worried or anything though right? Like it is ok that i have my period now after 3 years and I am still on nexplanon

Going keto will cause some hormonal fluctuations at first while you adapt, not surprising that happened. Everything should normalize. If it keeps up though you should check with your doc, it’s always possible that while that’s happening a % of how good it works is being compromised.

(Allie) #5

Some women who are going through the menopause report suddenly getting periods after starting keto, and lots report some sort of disruption to their monthly cycles. Keto fixes your body.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Apparently (to judge from posts I’ve read here), even a few post-menopausal women have experienced menstrual bleeding, though of course their fertility was not restored.

However, women of childbearing age who believed themselves to be infertile have been known to conceive after going keto.

I’m glad not to be a woman; I’m not tough enough! The stuff your bodies put you through! :scream:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

If your birth control is meant to stop your periods and it restarted, I might double check with the doctor to make sure you are still protected. But it may just be a temporary thing as your body readjusts to rebalanced hormones. One does hear tell of surprise keto babies. I haven’t heard of I happening while on birth control though.

Oh wait… I just saw @lfod14 said the same thing. Oops!

(Laurie) #8

Well, it bears repeating. Ain’t nobody want no surprises!