Keto-adaptation: Is it gradual, all at once, or stop & go?

I noticed years ago that when I was exposed to MSG, for instance, when I visited a Chinese restaurant, my nose would start to drip. And it would be weird because I wouldn’t be sneezing or feel congested or anything else that goes along with a runny nose. I would just suddenly feel like if I don’t find a tissue fast, I’m literally going to drip.

Only happens to me with MSG

(Kirk Wolak) #22

First, this journey has been AMAZING, and I have learned things that literally scare me!
[Right now, I have found my VITAMINS are raising my BP, and triggering slight headaches! Now I know why PKD says NO to all supplements!]

Next, the runny nose. This is your bodies response to a potential allergen! It increases secretion of mucus that you are forced to swallow with the food, to help protect your stomach and intestinal lining! [I heard this on a podcast] Most people know this affect from hot peppers. Let that sink in. If they burn your mouth, how do you think your COLON tissue (which is quite similar) is going to feel?

I use this to debug foods. I also check my BP before and 15 minutes after eating a food. That’s why I gave up on vegetables and went full on carnivore.

Now, the DOSE makes the poison. A little bacon didn’t hurt me. But when I started eating > 1 lb of pork fat/day… Within weeks my BP was chronically high, and I eventually got urticaria. It took 28 days for my BP to normalize by going back to beef.

So, a clean diet is a euphemism at best. Clean KETO is a HORRIBLE diet for me!
Clean “Lions Diet” is PERFECT (Beef, Salt, Water). But a wee-bit more strict than I care to be, if I don’t have to.

Further comments. Bacon is my fav. Pepperoni–OMG! Perfect Trigger food. It is hyper-palatable. It was the beginning of me realizing I could have a problem here. I ate 3lbs in a single day and ONLY STOPPED because I ran out. I gave myself permission to eat as much of it as I wanted. OMG… 3lbs! This was 2 HUGE bags. I would have eaten more. But, the next day I did not feel great… BP was sky high… Interesting!

Do you measure your blood Ketones and Glucose? This is powerful. It can help you to debug things.

Also, I find testing your glucose before and after meals important. I like to do 30,60,90,120 minutes. Ketones are a bit expensive to do that frequently.

It could be the MAYO (if it is made with Seed Oils). Also, people underestimate their carb counts with things like cabbage. Thinking it is mostly fiber.

Finally, fiber can screw people up, like me!

Keep us posted…

(Marianne) #23

I do not measure ketones and blood glucose.

I use the major brand of store mayo and will have to read the ingredients to see what kind of oil is in it.

Because I seemingly eat so little of the cole slaw (cabbage), I figured I didn’t need to count the carbs in that. Will have to check it out to see how many I am actually eating.

Thanks for the tips!