Kava or Kratom to get off alcohol?

(FRANK) #1

Anyone have any experience/success using either product to quit drinking?

(Alex ) #2

Iā€™ve read up about both, and know they are from the sedative / stimulant class of herbal medication basically.

Iā€™ve had good success using 5HTP as a supplement to help with my cravings towards the booze and also help with really bad hangovers, however, unfortunately, the only thing thatā€™s going to truly help you (that helped me) is admitting the problem and abstaining from alcohol long term, and avoiding situations where youā€™re confronted by the temptation.

You just gotta stop drinking dude, swapping one problem for another doesnā€™t fix anything. Both Kava and Kratom have addictive effects on people. Iā€™m not anti either of them but as somebody that used to drink way too much thatā€™s not a good plan.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The collective experience of members of Alcoholics Anonymous and other Twelve-Step programmes suggests that complete abstinence from alcohol and other addictive substances is the only truly effective treatment for addiction. Almost all alcoholics and drug addicts find that complete abstinence is actually easier than other approaches. That said, complete abstinence is not easy in itself, just easier than other alternatives.

I have seen studies estimating that perhaps around 20% of the population is vulnerable to a given substance, and while there is substantial overlap between these vulnerable populations, it is possible to be vulnerable to one addictive substance, but not to another. While I know heroin addicts who found that giving up nicotine was more difficult than giving up heroin, I personally stopped smoking after a bad experience smoking too much one evening. Apparently, I was not a nicotine addict, because I was able to stop immediately, with no cravings. This is directly contrary to my experience trying to give up sugar and carbohydrate.

(Robin) #5

@Alex_PN @FGH Iā€™m with Alex. When we remove something that provided us with a buzz or an escape or our moment of blissā€¦ We are susceptible to wanting to replace the bad ā€œdrugā€ for a fake one. Wanting to fill the void. But we need to accept the void. Sit with it, live with it, feel it. Observe your thoughts and your fear and your urgings. We are used to running away from that deep needā€¦ Instead, think, ā€œOh this is what withdrawal feels like. Iā€™m going thru it now.ā€

The best piece of advice I ever got in giving up cigarettes AND booze was thisā€¦ In 5 or 0 minutes, the craving will go away, with or without a swig or a hit. So, you can do ten minutes. Take it one urge at a time. They are building blocks.

And each day you go without giving in to temptation, it harder for you to walk away from that success. Because you know you might not be this strong again. This is your chance. And youā€™re in a good place to find company or the journey. You got this!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I have two friends who got into Kratom years ago and they had a hell of a hard time getting off of it. It can be as difficult as getting clean from opiates.

(Allie) #7

When I realised I was very close to a serious issue with drinking, I just stopped, that was 20 years ago.

No pills or anything else will help unless you actually choose to stop.

(Marianne) #8

What is this?

Ugh, you are so right. I have so many happy associations with alcohol. I love to do paint by number for hours, or sit by an bonfire, etc., and sip a drink. For me, those things arenā€™t as enjoyable without the alcohol. Itā€™s a real bummer.

(Alex ) #9

Yes! Itā€™s one of lifeā€™s major pains in the ass, you just canā€™t drink and not pay the price physically and emotionally.

Whatā€™s intriguing about alcohol is the longer you go without it the less you can understand why you needed it in the first place. Itā€™s a genuine head trip!

(Deb) #10

I have been using kratom for a few years for chronic pain. For me, it has no addictive properties at all but Iā€™ve read of those who have had trouble.

I have taken every pharmaceutical in existence for failed back surgery syndrome ( the ā€œofficialā€ diagnosis! Iā€™m just old and worn out!), and kratom doesnā€™t even come close to the Tylenol 3 I take!
Regardless, Good luck in your endeavor!

Four years ago, my husband began taking kratom daily for pain management. At that point heā€™d been a wine enthusiast for most of his adult life, enjoying it frequently, sometimes to excess. Interestingly, some 2 months after beginning kratom he spontaneously began to reduce his alcohol consumption. None of us even noticed at first, he just wouldnā€™t suggest wine as often, or would not finish a glass when served. After a while, he just stopped. I want to point out that this happened with no conscious decision making and was clearly metabolic in nature. Today, he just can not enjoy any alcohol and while the rest of the household continues to have wine once or twice a week, he doesnā€™t even join in on the holidays. I will add that kratom has clearly acted as a mood regulator for him and that he takes regular breaks from it with no problem. Addiction just hasnā€™t been a problem.

(UsedToBeT2D) #12

It is hard. But just stop alcohol.

No my thoughts never went there but I was ā€˜damn near thereā€™ with enjoying my booze!

but what I did was focus on my eating plan and I have to say, being carnivore I COULD NOT physically drink liquor like I did, so my focus on the eating lifestyle to the booze equation I desired took that out of my life in stepsā€¦so? not fast steps but it did in the end and it worked for me that way personally.

thing is if you hold your eating plan and are doing ok there, I would think ā€˜most but not allā€™ find this aversion to any alcohol will come their way but of course there are exceptions to all of it in life and how we do ok or not etc?? Alot of life baggage etc that we all deal with and if our eating plan can take more control and work for us, then wonderful ya know but will an eating plan be ā€˜all end allā€™ for some, no one knows ya know. too personal.

so never on any drugs but yes that my lifestyle took me way above where I ā€˜mightaā€™ been heading and out of that situation. Wild ride for sure.

(deliomask) #15

Thanks for the information.

(Tim Means) #16

You can try it, but it should be the lowest doses possible. It`s good as a mild stimulant, pain reliever, and a way to get rid of an opioid addiction.