Karim's muscle gain carnivore adventure

(Little Miss Scare-All) #688

Same. I like it it to be my own choice

(Karim Wassef) #689

so in fun, I wanted to see just how good of a carnivore I have been over the last two months and compare it to my pescatarian and fasting plan going forward (one month).

I was doing pretty good… but the almonds corrupted me and I struggled until I found my way back. They’re so high in fat that even a little deviation pulls my carnivore ratio down hard!

Anything fermented is classified as the raw components - so honey or sauerkraut are plant based… milk and eggs are animal based.

Given that the next phase is only 70% carnivore, I might start a new thread.

However … I need some help figuring out where it goes:

1. It focuses on building muscle (first) and losing fat (second) with very high protein.
  2. It’s mostly carnivore (70%), but not entirely. First 4 weeks are pescatarian carnivore (mostly).
  3. It will include 3 days a week of fasting or fasting with vegan protein.
  4. It is high protein, low fat and no carb almost.

(Mario) #690

i would go with #4. 2-3 is nothing special and 1 i would talk about workouts too.

#4 is almost HSD: High Speed Diet. very controversial

or do you have this in your mind: Lyle McDonalds Rapid Fat Loss Handbook

(Karim Wassef) #691

I’m going to try Luis Villasenor’s (Ketogains) approach … but modified… with high protein, no carb and low fat with heavy lifting. Luis endorses higher carb - and I’m willing to experiment with higher protein instead.

My question was actually where on the forum to start that thread…:smiley:

Maybe Progress, N=1?

(Karim Wassef) #693

ok… here’s the next phase:

I decided that it didn’t fit since my carnivory would be dropping down to 70%… but you can follow me over there if you want.

(Karim Wassef) #694

For my last day of carnivore, I’m planning on going nuts and having wings… so much delicious fat

The fat is higher than my target but I’m going for it… without the almonds! :blush:

(Karim Wassef) #695

ok… it’s confirmed… fat is key to regularity on carnivore.

As I’m upped my protein and reduced my fats, I’ve been experiencing some slowness in digestion. What used to take 6 hours now takes 18 hours.

So yesterday and today, I went high fat (and high protein)… and I am back to 6 hours (or less)… one more awesome benefit to keto high fat.

(Karim Wassef) #696

My last meal today was my protein shake:

100g Whey Protein Isolate (zero carb)
10g Leucine
5g Creatine
1/2 tablespoon of brewer’s yeast
1 tablespoon of ginger juice
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
splash of Stevia

Well… that’s it for my carnivore experiment (95%+ carnivore anyway). Moving on to semi-carnivore semi-keto, high protein, low fat, low carb + semi-fasting.

(Boston_guy) #697

@Karim_Wassef Ever try turning your data through a data mining algorithm? I wonder if machine learning could spot some non-obvious cause & effect relationships, suggest hypotheses and little experiments.

We are so multivariate…
inputs: food/supplements (cronometer), exercise, sleep (oura), sun exposure, stress/meditation
outputs: HRV (EliteHRV), sleep data, weight (withings)

(Karim Wassef) #698

AI could help. The problem is that I don’t capture enough input data. Exercise details, sleep, stress, sauna, sun… all just as relevant as diet macros. Also not enough output variables - daily RMR, muscle diameter, etc…

It’s frankly too much tracking just macros!

I’ll think on it more :thinking:

(Boston_guy) #699

Yeah, agreed. I don’t either. I’m currently tracking food in Crono to try and gauge micro’s and get to 30% PRO.
Just thought of another input: meal timing (with downstream glucose/autophagy implications). CGM->Sleep would be fascinating. NBT/Chris Kelly have talked about their algorithms.
IMO, any data gathering has to have a payoff/ROI. I’m hoping that sleep, fasting, HRV are big enough levers to focus on.

(Bunny) #700

That’s a nice combo of proteins!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #701

What’s the difference between brewer’s yeast and nutritional yeast? I use the nutritional yeast.

(Karim Wassef) #702

I didn’t know and assumed they’re the same.

Apparently brewers is alive and nutritional is dead.

I think they mostly die in the gut anyway… but I’m taking nutritional yeast actually.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #703

Oh nice. Now we know! Yeah I use Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast. I started taking it for the B vitamins and aminos. Kind of tastes like cheesy feet. Mostly, I throw it into salad.

(Karim Wassef) #704

Cheesy… feet…

I like the taste and it is most likely NOT that… also - how do you know what cheesy feet taste like?

Hey - took your advice and started a new thread. Go over and say hi there and criticize my 8 cans of tuna a day diet

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/high-protein-modified-keto-fasting-muscle-building-with-low-fat/88263/999

Cheesy feet…

Hey Karim, thank you for recording and sharing all your data. What sw/app are you using to input everything?

(Karim Wassef) #706

I use iphone’s health app to track, then I export to my laptop and use excel for analytics

I do 10 seconds cardio every minute for just ten minutes 2x week and push it to the max. I thought that was the way to go for most gain with least pain? I am remarkably lazy I do admit.

I have a few exercise physiologists tracking me and telling me what to do in a hospital gym. Also have a record of volunteering for research with some phenomenally good researchers and am doing what is suggested (by them) for my benefit.

I am into minimum effort and minimum eating for most health benefit.

@Karim_Wassef I don’t understand your experiment. Is it self directed or supervised? I hope this isn’t a rude question, not intended to be. Trying to understand.

If unsupervised then re: the protein…is there a reason for it to be kept at OMD? Why not eat several times a day and less?

If your goal is weight loss (is your goal weight loss?) and you clearly are not short of a quid based on the ammount of protein you eat… why not get supervision from Jason Fung?

I think I may have missed an important piece of information somewhere.