Karim's muscle gain carnivore adventure

(Karim Wassef) #673

Glad I can help… even if I fail but we learn, that’s a step in the right direction.

(Karim Wassef) #674

This morning, I decided to do my stomach vacuum exercises in front of the mirror and I was surprised. I think I’ve lost more belly loose skin.

I stopped tracking it after I stopped fasting because I didn’t expect there to be much change. I mean - if fasting didn’t absorb that protein, why would eating “more” protein including high collagen and whey supplementation improve loose skin? I was barely even in ketosis much less autophagy…

I’ve been drinking thick bone broth and intentionally consuming chicken skin daily to increase my collagen intake. Collagen is apparently pretty useless for building muscle but I’m older and my joints and tendons needs as much focused recovery as my muscles - maybe more.

Shoulder bursitis, bicep tendon tear, lower back strain, triceps tendon inflammation… every time I push my weights by 10%, I end up in pain and the collagen really seems to help.

So extra collagen, not fasting and 5 times a week lifting seems to have helped the loose skin. I’ll muster the courage to take a pic

(Little Miss Scare-All) #675

I know what you mean, but we wouldnt judge you. Well, at least I wouldnt. Guess I cant speak for others, but at least the people that I know stop by here, wouldnt judge. You’re among maniacs. I mean palzies.

(Mario) #676

5 times a week is quite a lot for your age. as someone already mentioned, you take care of enough AND good sleep!

(Karim Wassef) #677

Ok… here I am going from relaxed to full vacuum

Notice that I’m lean enough that you can see my ribs and fat enough to have side handles / spare tire when relaxed.

I would say this is a function of age but it’s not. I’ve had the belly since I was an older teen so that fat is 30 years old and stubborn as heck

(Karim Wassef) #678

Notice that even at full vacuum, there are only a few wrinkles and they’re less than 1/8” deep or so.

Here’s the fasting loose skin post Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

So this is the “before” view:

And the similar “after” view:

Is it all in my head? It’s subjective

(Little Miss Scare-All) #679

That’s a great vacuum! I used to do those all the time. It takes a bit to get it that pronounced. I wasnt quite where you’re at.

But for visceral belly fat, that ain’t shit!

(Karim Wassef) #680

So can you see a change ?

(Little Miss Scare-All) #681

Yes the before isnt as deep, and theres more wrinkles, the after is deeper and less wrinkles, which can only mean your bone broth and chicken skin is doing it’s thang. Less wrinkles=less skin :metal:

(Karim Wassef) #682

Interesting observation today.

Woke up with 85G and 0.2K

When I’m in real ketosis > 1, I feel no hunger during the day… and eat OMAD with no issue.

Ever since I’ve switched to high protein (low ketones) low fat, I am hungry during the day. This is uncomfortable but seems to be working for these last 15lbs of fat loss and to grow 10lbs of muscle.

I also used cold packs to add thermogenesis and mitochondrial growth (browning adipose) and that generally increases ketone production on OMAD. It’s been effective for spot reduction but only with high ketones from fasting.

I tried it today with low ketones and my body did not like being forced into that state. The hunger I experienced was severe and sudden. Stomach grumbling like a beast and approaching hunger pain. It’s during my “switched off” eating period so I can ignore it. But as an impartial observer, I have to say “Wow”… that’s an impressive reaction for someone who’s fat adapted and endured weeks of fasting.

My hypothesis is that the high protein, higher glucose/insulin and low ketone state is especially vulnerable to hunger when ketone preferring forces are brought to bear. Thermogenesis is the perfect example of this. It’s cold enough to force heat generation but not enough to cause shivering. I think low intensity cardio and weightlifting would have similar effects.

I wish that I didn’t have to go through the hunger pain, but I will say that being fat adapted by eating high fat first gave me the mental fortitude to know what my body can do. Then fasting pushed it further… but I felt weak at 160lbs on keto/fasting. But the OMAD discipline lets me say “no” much easier. Eating is just not something I do during the “off” time - no matter what. Technically it’s not “no”, it’s just “not yet”.

Also, I’m not hangry - I’m a little irritable but still calm unless provoked… :slight_smile:

Just sharing my observations on the lab rat under study.

(Mame) #683

that is so awesome, glad to hear you got good news!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #684

Says you. Let’s ask wifey. :grin:

(Karim Wassef) #685

That’s why I said that I’m calm unless provoked. Wifey can be provocative… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #686

Like if she took all your almonds and threw them in the trash?

(Karim Wassef) #687

that’s not provocative… that’s just nuts! LOL

actually - it might spare me the punishing temptation so it’s a good thing

but I don’t like to be forced to give something up… so that’s a bad thing

as usual with wifey things - it depends

(Little Miss Scare-All) #688

Same. I like it it to be my own choice

(Karim Wassef) #689

so in fun, I wanted to see just how good of a carnivore I have been over the last two months and compare it to my pescatarian and fasting plan going forward (one month).

I was doing pretty good… but the almonds corrupted me and I struggled until I found my way back. They’re so high in fat that even a little deviation pulls my carnivore ratio down hard!

Anything fermented is classified as the raw components - so honey or sauerkraut are plant based… milk and eggs are animal based.

Given that the next phase is only 70% carnivore, I might start a new thread.

However … I need some help figuring out where it goes:

1. It focuses on building muscle (first) and losing fat (second) with very high protein.
  2. It’s mostly carnivore (70%), but not entirely. First 4 weeks are pescatarian carnivore (mostly).
  3. It will include 3 days a week of fasting or fasting with vegan protein.
  4. It is high protein, low fat and no carb almost.

(Mario) #690

i would go with #4. 2-3 is nothing special and 1 i would talk about workouts too.

#4 is almost HSD: High Speed Diet. very controversial

or do you have this in your mind: Lyle McDonalds Rapid Fat Loss Handbook

(Karim Wassef) #691

I’m going to try Luis Villasenor’s (Ketogains) approach … but modified… with high protein, no carb and low fat with heavy lifting. Luis endorses higher carb - and I’m willing to experiment with higher protein instead.

My question was actually where on the forum to start that thread…:smiley:

Maybe Progress, N=1?